Poaching Rant....

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
when I call for execution for poaching it also is not the minor infractions I am thinking of. while I don't condone it, I also I don't particularly care about the idiot who "forgot" to punch his tag.

when I speak of execution for poachers I am thinking about the claude dallas type scumbags that are out there

Reactions: mosquito

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I wonder just how many on here even know of Claude Dallas
probly not many left that remember . folks tried to make him into some kind of hero but he was just a dirtbag poacher who turned murderer

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Dallas
I had to look it up myself. .... and he was released for good behavior after an eyewitness saw him execute 2 officer's. Unbelievable
he even escaped from prison and there was a nation wide manhunt for a year or more. and still only served 22 years of a 30 year sentence.

clearly was a case worthy of execution if ever there was one.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I remember him he tried to portray himself as some modern day mountain man.
yup. and folks bought into it ,same as they did with the likes of jesse james . or for a more modern comparison ,the bundy clan.

seems so called law abiding citizens hate the government more then they love rule of law!
americans love them some criminals more then they love their so called loved ones. that is the reason they walk free among us.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
There was a post on another forum about shooting times - some guy was supposedly a couple minutes off but shot a nice one in the wee minutes of the day - suddenly he's evil and everyone don't like him no more. LOL! Go figure.

ANYWAY - how would you feel if that was you, just stalked a big buck/elk/whatever and shot as light was fading - get back to truck to a couple LEO vehicles and the guy who reported you for shooting it illegally are waiting for you - you are now a poacher and entitled to whatever stinking penalty you decided and requested that "they" should get.

The whole wanton waste comment - that would count if someone say didn't take the tenderloins off a gut shot animal and didn;t want to eat em.

Be very careful what you ask for.

Lotsa guys wanting to increase regulations and penalties on other forums. Mostly someone got offended and needs to change the rules to feel justified. Those guys don't know that they are gonna be the ones suffering in the long run.

Reactions: dan maule

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Just like Bonnie and Clyde. They were nothing more than domestic terrorists and were lauded as heroes. Nobody thinks about all of the police they killed in their multi-state tour of terror and robbery.

In the end they were nothing compared to a couple guys with BAR's....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Shooting times are defined in the rule books. You shoot outside of them and you may not be technically a poacher if it was a few minutes but you should get a ticket, if it was dark then you are a bonified poacher in my book.

These days of modern technology the optics are getting better and better. A scope that you had a hard time seeing through at dusk is now as bright as it is at midday. Then there re the ones with lighted recitals that make shooting near dark even easier. I can see more states outlawing their use during big game seasons.

Reactions: AKaviator

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
In my experience, minor little "wrist slap" offenses, if they are not just given a warning by the warden, seldom make it past a prosecutor. If they do, a judge generally recognizes it for what it is and other dismisses or goes lightly. A few minutes past shooting hours, forgot your license at home...etc. That's not "poaching" that's being talked about here.

But with wanton poachers, I believe that sentencing guidelines should be harsh enough to compel "voluntary compliance" by those who are tempted to break major poaching laws. The ones who still want to risk it get no sympathy from me when they get caught.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Don't lie to a warden, EVER! Those guys get BS from every dude who has an excuse for his poor behavior. If you screwed up, then fess up, and you will likely find you will be treated fairly. If you lie to him, then expect to get the hammer dropped on you. I have always enjoyed my encounters with wardens, and had nothing to hide. A Colorado warden got the full story from me after one of my hunting partners screwed up and tried to hide it. Instead of an $80 fine, he ended up with a $1,000 fine and forfeited the elk.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
In my experience, minor little "wrist slap" offenses, if they are not just given a warning by the warden, seldom make it past a prosecutor. If they do, a judge generally recognizes it for what it is and other dismisses or goes lightly. A few minutes past shooting hours, forgot your license at home...etc. That's not "poaching" that's being talked about here.

But with wanton poachers, I believe that sentencing guidelines should be harsh enough to compel "voluntary compliance" by those who are tempted to break major poaching laws. The ones who still want to risk it get no sympathy from me when they get caught.
I hear what you are saying but you don't live in Michigan. We have a new breed of Barnie Fifes here. I will not bore you with the details but a good friend of mine took his 10 year old daughter hunting on his private property. Around 10 am he took her for a 200 yard walk to see who was driving the 4 wheeler on his property boundary. He left his license in his backpack in the deer blind ran into a DNR officer who gave him a $300 ticket for not having his license on him after a 30 minute lecture in which he managed ruin his daughters interest in hunting because she thought he was going to jail. Game Wardens are no different than the rest of the populations there are some really good ones and there are some real jackholes. That being said all of my interactions with Game Wardens in Montana and Wyoming have been a very positive experience. I wish I could say the same for my home state.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I hear what you are saying but you don't live in Michigan. We have a new breed of Barnie Fifes here. I will not bore you with the details but a good friend of mine took his 10 year old daughter hunting on his private property. Around 10 am he took her for a 200 yard walk to see who was driving the 4 wheeler on his property boundary. He left his license in his backpack in the deer blind ran into a DNR officer who gave him a $300 ticket for not having his license on him after a 30 minute lecture in which he managed ruin his daughters interest in hunting because she thought he was going to jail. Game Wardens are no different than the rest of the populations there are some really good ones and there are some real jackholes. That being said all of my interactions with Game Wardens in Montana and Wyoming have been a very positive experience. I wish I could say the same for my home state.
I knew a few wardens like that in my youth - called one "little hitler" due to his mustache and attitude - guy got to scraping paint off a duck gun of mine looking for the serial number. Dad asked him if he'd like to explain to the judge why he was damaging my shotgun..

Most of em seem decent enough until they have a rough day and take it out on folks who aren't doing anything wrong.

I'd say your buddy should take him to court and make him show up and justify the $300 fine and trespassing on the property to the judge.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I knew a few wardens like that in my youth - called one "little hitler" due to his mustache and attitude - guy got to scraping paint off a duck gun of mine looking for the serial number. Dad asked him if he'd like to explain to the judge why he was damaging my shotgun..

Most of em seem decent enough until they have a rough day and take it out on folks who aren't doing anything wrong.

I'd say your buddy should take him to court and make him show up and justify the $300 fine and trespassing on the property to the judge.

Poor guy had only a small window of time to take his kids out hunting because of his work. He was so pissed he could hardly talk about it, he just paid it because he didn't have the time to fight it. Talking to him a year later he is still pissed and mad at himself for not fighting it in court. But the good news is his daughter got out this year and killed her first buck!