Phone Scoping App

laxwyo

Very Active Member
What camera app does everyone use for phone scoping? I have a iPhone 5s and haven't been too impressed with the native camera app. I see kowa has their own app. (I seen birding enthusiasts mention kowa as hands down best spotter) . PhoneSkope did have an app but I don't see it in the apple App Store anymore. Thanks all

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I'm a little ignorant here maybe, but what do the apps do? I've just used my camera and video from my phone instead of going through an app, but maybe I'm missing out on some functionality doing that?

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I'm a little ignorant here maybe, but what do the apps do? I've just used my camera and video from my phone instead of going through an app, but maybe I'm missing out on some functionality doing that?
Technically, when you click your camera, that's an app on your phone. There are many different photo apps that access your camera.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Ah I see what you are saying. I guess I didn't even know there were other options. I'll be interested to see what people say

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Blue tooth shutter. It's awesome! Especially with my new phone iPhone 6+. You can press the screen on the object you would like to keep in focus ex. Deer,elk,bird,sheep. And once it locks on. Even as the animal moves. The phone stays focused on the object. Once it's locked in focus I resort to the blue tooth shutter for snapping pics. You don't touch the phone at all while using the remote. Makes all the difference in the world when zoomed out max on spotter and phone zoomed. The slightest movement hampers everything when trying to look far.

Last edited:

M.Bird

Dec 27, 2015
using your phone for scoping is limited to your phones fictions: Phone skope is a holder so that your phone camera can be mounted to a spotting scope or binoculars. depending on what phone you have (I5 you said) and what spotting scope you want to use to take pics or record the video though.
I use a Samsung Note 4, so i had to go with a different mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmSTDPrL4Qw

I think this will help you on what you want to do

V/R
M.Bird

Shooter09

Dec 31, 2011
Pacific NW
I use a Phoneskope with a bluetooth shutter for an Iphone 6 attached to a Swarovski STS 65mm. I have tried several other adapters including Novagrade and a few other "one size fits all" and the Phoneskope is the best.