Pennsylvania saddle maker info?

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
So I recently purchased this saddle, finally found one that fits my mule fairly well. I don't know if it's a mule saddle but it fits his fronts real well and just has a little bit of rock to it, not much. What I'm looking for is any information on the saddle maker. I Googled him but could not find anything. Any info would help. Mt. Joy is in Lancaster county.20190515_164201-1.jpg20190515_164232-1.jpg

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know a guy who knows a guy who works mules in Northwestern PA. I will forward this photo to him and see if he recognizes anything.

I realize we are talking about opposite corners of the state but this guy knows a lot of people. Might be able to help you.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Call the local tack shops over there. I'm guessing Amish made and I would think one of them could tell you. Might just take numerous phone calls until you find one that knows.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Came up empty from my connections. They said they never heard of them before.

He said it probably was NOT made by the Dutchies.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Found a bit from the US patents office- from 1869 lol

Annual Report of the Commissioner of Patents
https://books.google.com/books?id=b-goKvQRKaEC
USA Patent Office - 1871
P.H., STAUFFER, Lehighton, Pa., as: signor to himself, Edw. Itd MAURY, and ... An improved pad for harness-saddles, the distinguishing feature P which is an ...
https://books.google.com/books?id=b-goKvQRKaEC&pg=PA535&lpg=PA535&dq=p.+h.+stauffer+saddlery+pennsylvania&source=bl&ots=CM-5U6ayEz&sig=ACfU3U3TeqLMM_cdT279Dpr7dRbmmRw3eA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjWgI_5y6DiAhVJX60KHZqtCV8Q6AEwA3oECAUQAQ

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Wow Hilltop, that is some good digging! So I would say that the family was in the horse tack business. The name should mean something to the locals.
I think the horse and tack business came later. I found 2 of his inventions. One was unique for the time - Hay elevator and manure drag combined. It's fun trying to dig that far in the past but it's hard to connect the dots as nothing has full details that long ago. The only bad news to you is your not likely to find another one of those saddles.