Pennsylvania members.............

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Anything that's a "can't miss" in your lovely state as far as scenery (waterfalls, rivers, mountains, old structures, animals, etc)? Having to head up for a week at the end of Aug and would like to get out of Pittsburgh for a cpl days to take pics. Suggestions?

mrcowboy

May 1, 2013
Northern NM
~Two hours NE of Pittsburgh is Alleghany National forest and Cook Forest State Park. Spent couple days over July fourth holiday at my brother's cabin near Clarington on the Clarion River. Nice area. Very wooded and many streams. Don't know much about areas south of the city. Cook Forest has a section of some of the oldest growth timber in PA.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would tell you to catch a Penn State game as it is a great atmosphere but they are playing in Ireland opening week...weird. Wall to wall trees was my only experience in the state.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I've been looking into the elk herd core and Benezette is doable along with Alleghany. Wife has a thing for waterfalls and I'm trying to avoid going up to Niagara Falls.

If PennSt were playing A&M I'd definitely be going. :D

eye in sky

Mar 4, 2011
Conifer, Colorado
Southeast of Pittsburgh is a place called fallingwater. Its a house frank Lloyd wright designed that is built over a creek. Here's the website. http://www.fallingwater.org/2/visit It's probably the only thing close to a waterfall type scene in the area. Niagara Falls is pretty cool too. It's about a 4 hr drive. Stay on the Canada side in one of the hotels that overlook the horseshoe falls. It's an amazing view.
I grew up near Pittsburgh. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Thanks eye in sky, I hadn't seen that in my Googling of things to see. Is the drive out to the Poconos very scenic?

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
Check out the falls on the Youghiogheny River at Ohiopyle. If you are interested in the above mentioned Fallingwater house it is in the same general area. Good level hiking trail upstream a good number of miles along he river from Ohiopyle too. I moved away from the area 20 years ago, there's probably more hiking trails in the area now. All about 2 hours south of the 'Burgh.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Good to know, considering Bushkill Falls and an overnight stay out that way somewhere to be able to kill lots of time on the way there and way back.