Pennsylvania ELK

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Do any of you apply for Pennsylvania Elk Tags? You can apply June 17th. If you get drawn its a great opportunity to get the elk of a lifetime. I grew up in PA and saw one of the biggest bull elk of my life when I was WT deer hunting as a young teen. Scared the heck out of me because we were doing a drive and he was coming towards me. I ran for the bushes ;)

Oh and they added a archery season this year. Which they did not have prior years.

Last edited:

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Im a life long PA resident and have applied 10 years or so. Im a believer that a world record or close to it will come from here eventually. There are several areas that the elk are very used to humans and I avoid those areas with my applications. I chose to apply for areas I have travelled through alot and have good elk numbers but are away from the tourists traps that tame the elk down. PM me if you want some more info.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I do not apply because the odds are so piss poor that your literally wasting your money.

The above post is correct though. The world record will probably come from there.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I grew up in PA and I put in a couple of times.
I stopped putting in however after a couple of friends who still live/hunt in PA said those elk are very used to humans and it wouldn't be much of a hunt. More like shooting a milk cow.
I'm not sure if that's true for all the PA elk ... but maybe for some.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If the elk are not chased they become quite tame. All we have to do here in Colorado is to head up to Estes Park just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park to see that. During their fall rut the elk take over the open space in town and the surrounding area, and it would be no problem to shoot one with either a bow or rifl.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
If the elk are not chased they become quite tame. All we have to do here in Colorado is to head up to Estes Park just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park to see that. During their fall rut the elk take over the open space in town and the surrounding area, and it would be no problem to shoot one with either a bow or rifl.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Yeah I?ve been driving through RMNP up the Granby side before and watching these yahoos get out of thier cars and walk up to the big bulls to get a closer picture with thier phone. Like writhing 30 feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
While there are areas that the elk are very tame, I think you'll find most are very much wild and take time and skill to get shooting. Plenty of people eat tag soup each year. I have been putting in just about every year, except for a few, so hopefully one day I can draw. I've wasted more money on worse things in my life.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I have applied since the 1st year they started.Every year I have not drawn, adds another chance to the next year. For the $10.00 fee, which is now $11.90 and this year you can apply for the archery hunt and the January hunt, you can also now apply for those, it is well worth the try.

Maybe I will get drawn and maybe I won't before I get too old to do it anymore, but if I do, it will be a hunt to remember.

Last edited:

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I have applied since the 1st year they started.Every year I have not drawn, adds another chance to the next year. For the $10.00 fee, which is now $11.90 and this year you can apply for the archery hunt and the January hunt, you can also now apply for those, it is well worth the try.

Maybe I will get drawn and maybe I won't before I get too old to do it anymore, but if I do, it will be a hunt to remember.
Exactly! Im heading to the store tomorrow to get my licenses and put in for it. Good news is I dont believe it will overlap with my Wyoming hunt as 2017’s Colorado did, so I skipped that year.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Maybe the sign I won't get drawn again:ROFLMAO:.....like the saying goes, can't get drawn if you don't apply. Good luck to all on here that applied-maybe some day one of us will get the luck of the draw.

Reactions: archeranthony

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
So last year the PA Game Comission was crying broke, nobody got the regs books unless you paid $7 or so for it (unless you had a high speed laser print station at work haha). Magically this year they discover millions of dollars and now they sent books again. IMHO PA doesnt do a very good job managing deer or elk. I’m to the point I call them the Game Omission. I buy DMAP coupons for areas I hunt and throw them in the garbage so thats a few less deer killed in my stomping grounds.