Pahvant Elk Tag..Paint Me Picture!

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Well for those that didn't see the draw results thread, I lucked out and drew a Fillmore, Pahvant muzzleloader elk tag. I'm going diy with my brother, and have never hunted Utah before, so I'd love to hear what you all have to say. I've heard a lot of great things about this unit, but also heard it may be on a bit of a downward trend. Haven't spoken to the biologists or dnr yet, but was curious what to expect. I'd be happy to hear any and all opinions, input, and advice. I admit I haven't done much research or serious planning yet, but just want to hear what you guys think because I'm super excited and want to have some stuff to daydream about. Thanks!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll say that it isn't the unit that it was 10 years ago but it is improving.

Every year there is a big bruiser taken off of it, but they live in the deep dark canyons. There are quite a few ATV trails up on top of it and during the summer the dust will be 12" deep on the roads.

I used to hunt deer down there on the north end and gave it up because of all the ATV riders blasting over the roads all day long.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'll say that it isn't the unit that it was 10 years ago but it is improving.

Every year there is a big bruiser taken off of it, but they live in the deep dark canyons. There are quite a few ATV trails up on top of it and during the summer the dust will be 12" deep on the roads.

I used to hunt deer down there on the north end and gave it up because of all the ATV riders blasting over the roads all day long.
Yep, I hunted down there for about 5 years 2005 to 2010 when I lived in UT due to military service. ATVs are everywhere on the weekends. I always manage to killed a spike elk. There is suppose to some good deer but didn't see any that impressed me. I preferred the Wasatch Front in.November.

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Well, got about a week until we take off. Any body have some last minute advice? That Meadow Creek fire has me a bit concerned, but hear they are making some progress. Looks like they may have gotten some rain this morning as well, so that should help.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Well, got about a week until we take off. Any body have some last minute advice? That Meadow Creek fire has me a bit concerned, but hear they are making some progress. Looks like they may have gotten some rain this morning as well, so that should help.
Good luck and I hope you get the bull of a lifetime!

Reactions: boiler

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
No advice for your unit, but hope you the best. I'm headed to Utah for elk in a couple of weeks. Looks like they have been getting some rain lately, so hope your fire concern is lessened. Water doesn't sound like it will be much of an issue this year.

Reactions: boiler

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Had a great time! Shot the best one I had seen so far, but probably should have waited. Check the elk success thread for the pictures and a little more detail.

Reactions: Prerylyon