Pack raft

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Ya like those. Pretty cool I thought. I sure could have used one in ID when we used to elk hunt there.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I watched a show just a few nights ago, a few teams were racing across Alaska, and had to use pack rafts. The rafts couldnt been longer than 8 feet. A few guys dumped them on some pretty fast moving water. The small ones look really unstable.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I watched a show just a few nights ago, a few teams were racing across Alaska, and had to use pack rafts. The rafts couldnt been longer than 8 feet. A few guys dumped them on some pretty fast moving water. The small ones look really unstable.
This show is where I saw the pack rafts. Very cool

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
pack rafts are to small to hunt and haul gear. Small rafts are not. There is a difference. Also, just like any moving water sport, you will nead the right gear and knowledge. In the pack raft you will be sitting in water, make sure you are prepared for that.
check out the pumas from aire. small, flyable and can pack some weight.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I love the idea...BUT, I would poke a hole in that things in the first 5 minutes, and be walking the river the whole way out, likely during the salmon run, when the bears are feeding the hardest and dont want to be bothered....lol

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
What I can't wrap my head around is, every time I see guys with these they're always pretty loaded with their gear and often going downstream. Show me using one to get a moose out of the back country. (Not poo-poo'ing the idea, I genuinely want to know how that works.)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What I can't wrap my head around is, every time I see guys with these they're always pretty loaded with their gear and often going downstream. Show me using one to get a moose out of the back country. (Not poo-poo'ing the idea, I genuinely want to know how that works.)
You place the moose into the raft and then you walk it downstream......They had a episode of Meateater once and that is the way that they did it.

Reactions: taskswap

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Ah that makes sense, thanks. So do you mostly try to "hunt upstream"? I imagine doing the reverse (trying to pull a loaded packraft upstream after a successful hunt) would be very challenging...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If that was the way that I planned on getting a moose out I would definitely hunt upstream. That is unless my way out of the country was downstream, then I would just float down to where the moose was.

Reactions: taskswap

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
for those who have used these, which model did you use and how well did it handle the weight you had in it? a buddy and i have been thinking about a float trip possible moose and caribou. But at what point are you loaded and done hunting per say? we have used full sized rafts and pontoons on a couple sheep hunts but never one of these pack rafts.