Outfitter for a backcountry Elk Hunt

pmarquard300

Feb 9, 2020
Hi, I looking at doing my first Elk hunt in 2022. I am planning ahead of time and would appreciate your help by recommending a good outfitter for the hunt.

We want a true backcountry hunting experience using horses as transportation, wall tent, etc.

It would be a rifle hunt and are looking for 300+ bulls. Ideally we would like to combine it with a Mule Deer Hunt. We where thinking of Montana, Idaho or Wyoming as the states to try and find this type of hunt.

All your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
You have any points for WY? If you don't you won't probably draw a tag. I'd buy a point staring this July. You might be able to draw a general in the Special Draw.

Reactions: pmarquard300

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Does not sound like you have any points. The wilderness type hunts in the states you listed are going to take several years of points before you even have a slim chance to draw a tag. You might consider a state that has landowner or outfitter tags. This will take a considerable budget though. It takes a lot of research to plan a elk hunt.

Skibum81

Sep 18, 2015
Denver, CO
Does not sound like you have any points. The wilderness type hunts in the states you listed are going to take several years of points before you even have a slim chance to draw a tag. You might consider a state that has landowner or outfitter tags. This will take a considerable budget though. It takes a lot of research to plan a elk hunt.
I agree with this advise. I'd also add that a ton of people end up really disappointed if you have an inches of antler goal on a first Elk hunt. Go with an open mind and enjoy an experience that will be like no other hunting experience you've had before.

pmarquard300

Feb 9, 2020
Elk Springs Outfitters Idaho, they have hunts in the Frank Church. If you are looking for a true back country experience it's hard to beat the Frank Church IMO.
Hi Dan thank you for your recommendation. Have you done any hunts with Elk Springs Outfitters?

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Fyi... the long time outfitter of Elk springs outfitters.. Al Bayer has either sold or is trying to sell that outfit. I guided for both those outfits years ago in the Frank. To find 300"+ bulls the Frank would definitely not be my choice... with your timetable id highly suggest buying points in Wyoming for each person in the group and trying to draw Wyoming and go hunt the teton wilderness with an outfitter. Much better elk hunting than the Frank and much more enjoyable country. The Frank is incredible and definitely an adventure, but if I'm looking for good successful hunting opportunity, it is very low on my list.