Oregon Roadkill

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
I just saw on Oregon outdoor councils Facebook page that Oregon legislature passed a bill and it was signed by the governor that we can now salvage roadkill. ODFW still has to create rules around it but it's a start.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Nebraska has allowed it for years. I know of a couple of people that have salvaged deer after they were hit. Surprisingly, they said there was very little damage to the meat.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are a lot of states that have it and I am surprised that it took Oregon this long to get a law like this.

My neighbor was a Colorado Highway Patrol man for years and he came close to calling me about elk that have been hit, but someone always showed up at the scene to take it. He always had a "road kill permits" that he packed in his car just for these kinds of situations.

I do know that here in Colorado you can't just hit a animal and take it. You have to wait until a officer shows up on location to give you the permit to haul it off.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I bet I've picked up at least 20 road killed deer, and you wouldn't believe how mangled they can be and still salvage a lot of good meat. I know nothing really goes to waste,but I'd rather eat it or give it to someone, than see it rot in the ditch.