Oregon Plans?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
True :) Sheep, goat and antelope hunting is pretty darn good, if you can draw a tag. I do enjoy muzzy blacktail hunting too.
I agree UH, I was lucky enough on the sheep in '11 and got my antelope in '13, not much left more for me to look forward to in Oregon. I may be like you after '14 and looking at Blacktail only from here on out as far as deer hunting goes.

As far as Antelope in Oregon, if we don't get some moisture soon '14 will not be a very good year to draw IMO

Last edited:

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Deer and elk are all I am after, I hope to cash out on both this year. How about you Deer?
All planned out for me I am praying that I draw my elk tag Ron's website says I have a 27% chance this year but I am predicting a little lower and I should draw my deer tag. I really wish that Oregon would have some of the easier to draw archery antelope tags before the rifle season it drives me crazy that they put them after the rifle hunts and during archery elk.

halfslam

Nov 19, 2013
Eastern Oregon
I'm sitting on 10 points for deer, 14 on antelope and only a couple for elk. I'm going to spend some of my retired time this year looking for a better odds draw deer hunt in the desert. I had a Trout Creek tag 10 years ago and I'm not convinced it's worth holding out for again. I think it's overrated and I have'nt been in there since the fire two years ago. Any thoughts?
As for Antelope I've been applying for Juniper and probably will again this year. It is shaping up to be another dry year so this might not be an ideal year for Antelope. I'm curious about the East and West Beaty's Butte hunts as apposed to Juniper though. I think a dry water year moves a lot of the Hart Mtn. goats south into those areas. What do you guys think?
I was fortunate on my last antelope hunt in 99 to take a monster in the Steens. I spent 15 days scouting and keeping track of that buck and it paid off. He grossed 89 and at the time he was the new number two but they have taken 3 or 4 better bucks since then.
I think if you put the time and effort into Oregon antelope you have a good chance at 80+ buck. The bad is waiting 15 years for the tag! .......or 44 years for applying for sheep!!! Maybe this is the year!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Halfslam, your in a good spot for Antelope, I think there will be some good ones to be had. As for deer I have never hunted the Trout Creeks, but have a friend that has, he has the same opinion as you. It seems the reputation of the 70's is still hanging on there. I'm glad I am only at 5 points for deer and looking to cash in this year, no need to have anymore than that in Oregon IMO. No deer hunt I have been on or involved with is worth waiting over 5 years for here. Some of the hunts I have been on take 11 points to draw now, not for me.

halfslam

Nov 19, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Timberstalker, I agree with you on Oregon's deer hunts, 10 or 11 years is way to long to wait. I hunt with a bow so a longer waiting period for me is a little easier to handle. I do miss being able to go on the annual rifle deer hunt with a hunting partner or two like we used to back in the 70's and early 80's. It was a tough decision deciding where to hunt, hmmm Steens or the Strawberries.
Thanks Deer, he's a brute, grossed 89 and netted 88. I'd post a picture if I knew how or could find the link on here. I wrote an article for EHJ after the drying period and had the buck scored. Guy had me take a few more pictures with the head mount for the article....you know how Eastmans is with their pictures...lol!

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Timberstalker, I agree with you on Oregon's deer hunts, 10 or 11 years is way to long to wait. I hunt with a bow so a longer waiting period for me is a little easier to handle. I do miss being able to go on the annual rifle deer hunt with a hunting partner or two like we used to back in the 70's and early 80's. It was a tough decision deciding where to hunt, hmmm Steens or the Strawberries.
Thanks Deer, he's a brute, grossed 89 and netted 88. I'd post a picture if I knew how or could find the link on here. I wrote an article for EHJ after the drying period and had the buck scored. Guy had me take a few more pictures with the head mount for the article....you know how Eastmans is with their pictures...lol!
Yeah I do know what Eastman's is like lol, they didn't submit my sheep story becuase the quality was not up to par.