Oregon mule deer

Riverroad

Apr 4, 2011
Folks. I have a great question. What is the most sought in Oregon unit wise for a mule deer tag?
I am willing to put my time in to gather points and wait for a stud buck.

ultmag300

Mar 13, 2011
oregon city ,or
WOW ,your not asking for much are you ? lol, how much hunting experience do you have and how long are you willing to wait for a tag, I can give you some great info, but I need a little more info to answer your questions

Last edited:

Riverroad

Apr 4, 2011
I have had a nice hunting experience in my 37 years on the earth. Sot lots of mule deer In Oregon and Utah. Been killing some blackmail, antelope, and bear then last few years. I'm wiling to wait as long as it takes. I will continue to hit the blacktail, until I draw the prized mule deer tag. My brother and dad hit señora, kodiak, and Africa. I'm not looking to spend 6k for a Mexico buck yet. So that brings me to this question. I would like to aim for a 170 plus, with a 28 inch spread. Hey it's worth askin right? I'm willing go wait 10 years or more.... Thanks

ultmag300

Mar 13, 2011
oregon city ,or
:)You need to start saving preferance points if you havent already , also you need to look into getting an oregon tag guide book it has all the draw odds for the entire state and all species hunted the are at bi-mart or at most large sporting goods stores ,oregon has a few late season hunts during the rut that produce some monsters, but it might take 10 to 14 years to draw the tag , but some of the units in eastern oregon can produce 170" plus mule deer ,but luck and hard hunting and great knowledge of the unit all play a big roll in all that!!! are you a resident? if so you have a leg up on the non residents, ie... scouting , talking to locals and so on you get the picture send me a pm if you like.. Jim:cool:

fishhog24

Apr 4, 2011
Vida, OR
I have 10 years of putting in for a late season archery hunt in central oregon and am about 3 to 5 from getting it. Recently thought about switching to an eastern oregon late season rifle but the draw for that tag is crazy!!! Just gonna hold out for archery

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
You can find good numbers of 170 28" (and bigger) deer in other states on OTC tags and 1-2 BP draw hunts if you do your homework and put in your time and miles. Just food for thought.

idsean80

May 4, 2011
GOod Luck, I put in for 9 years then after school left the state and now have to put in for non-res....dangit:mad:. I'm looking for a good unit as well the problem is Oregon's not great for mule deer unfortunately. I did get lucky and drew a tag in idaho first try and got this buckMuledeer.jpgMuledeer.jpg:D

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
In 2009, I finally burned 16 points (the max points that year) in Oregon for an awesome blacktail hunt. I waited hoping for a great mule deer season to be offered, and it never rolled around. I finally reasoned I could get a great mulie in several states, but where else could I kill a big blacktail (I took a heavy 21" blacktail on that hunt). The best all around bet is Colorado for a big mule deer. There are over 20 units with rut dates where you can kill the type of buck you are after on a DIY hunt. The application fees are very reasonable too. You could likely draw a tag there in 5 years for the kind of deer you are after.

OR Archer

May 27, 2011
Eugene, OR
www.facebook.com
Well with over hunting, predators, and rampant poaching Oregon isn't a good state for mule deer. Like was stated before you are better off applying out of state. You'll have better odds of killing a good buck out of state. Goods bucks are just to few and far between here in this state.