Opinions needed for Daughter's new rifle

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
My brother promised my daughter a new rifle sitting around the camp fire last year. She has a .243 that she is deadly with, but she needs a bigger caliber for larger game (Elk, Moose, bear etc.) and with extended range. Also want something that has ammo available under normal circumstances. I was thinking a 300 Win mag, possibly with a muzzle break. Any thoughts.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Personally I would stay away from a muzzle brake, they are just plain and simple not fun to be around unless you have hearing protection on.

If you have a 300 Win mag has she shot it?

Instead of a 300 magnum how about a good old 30-06 or a 270 or even a 7mm Rem mag? As long as the range is kept within reason they all kill elk with the 7mm Rem mag for a little bit of extra range.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
X-Bolt Micro Midas - Bolt-Action Rifle - Browning

I got one of these in 300 WSM for my wife for our Alaska bear trip several years back. That was a BIG mistake... It kicks so hard that she was terrified of it and can't hit anything with it. Being scared of that gun cost her a bear in Alaska. She could have easily killed that bear with her 308 that she hunts deer with. Going with a bigger magnum caliber was a huge waste of money and set her back a lot in her rifle shooting abilities.

Ended up getting her the same rifle in 6.5 CM. Not a fan of the CM round, at all, but that little sucker is LASER BEAM accurate at 100 yards. Literally .5" groups.

The 270 WSM would/might be a good caliber for her, but I have never shot one so I don't know how much recoil they have.

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Personally I would stay away from a muzzle brake, they are just plain and simple not fun to be around unless you have hearing protection on.

If you have a 300 Win mag has she shot it?

Instead of a 300 magnum how about a good old 30-06 or a 270 or even a 7mm Rem mag? As long as the range is kept within reason they all kill elk with the 7mm Rem mag for a little bit of extra range.
I own , 2x.270, 30-06 and a 338 win mag. i did think about a 7mm rem mag though, wasn't solid on a muzzle break, don't own one myself

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
X-Bolt Micro Midas - Bolt-Action Rifle - Browning

I got one of these in 300 WSM for my wife for our Alaska bear trip several years back. That was a BIG mistake... It kicks so hard that she was terrified of it and can't hit anything with it. Being scared of that gun cost her a bear in Alaska. She could have easily killed that bear with her 308 that she hunts deer with. Going with a bigger magnum caliber was a huge waste of money and set her back a lot in her rifle shooting abilities.

Ended up getting her the same rifle in 6.5 CM. Not a fan of the CM round, at all, but that little sucker is LASER BEAM accurate at 100 yards. Literally .5" groups.

The 270 WSM would/might be a good caliber for her, but I have never shot one so I don't know how much recoil they have.
Yeah i had her shoot my SBE 2 with 3" supersonics this last year and she was over it in three shots. So good point

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
like the 7 mag option (i am a 280AI fan, but not lots of good factory options) but maybe check on the 7mm08 also? i imagine the 7PRC will have a strong front upcoming that may be an option too depending on each rifle available for purchase.

Reactions: sleepingbear

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I purchased the Weatherby vangaurd Camilla for my wife and daughter a couple years ago. I got it in 7mm-08 but it also comes in 308. It is designed for women with a shorter length of pull and more drop to the stock to fit a typical women's longer neck making it much more comfortable for a lady to shoot. They are able to shoulder it more properly so the recoil is not directed to the top of the shoulder. They both absolutely love the gun and have killed lots of stuff with it already. Weatherby also makes the camilla in the Mark V action with larger caliber options.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My brother promised my daughter a new rifle sitting around the camp fire last year. She has a .243 that she is deadly with, but she needs a bigger caliber for larger game (Elk, Moose, bear etc.) and with extended range. Also want something that has ammo available under normal circumstances. I was thinking a 300 Win mag, possibly with a muzzle break. Any thoughts.
Several good options out there but it would be easier to make a recommendation if we knew a little more about her. For smaller framed shooters, I like the 7mm-08, the .308, and the new 6.5 cartridges. Ammo availability has changed a bit over the last few years. Hornady's current top produced caliber is 6.5 CM. Of course, .308 is readily available as well. With that in mind, I would either go with .308 or 6.5CM. If 7mm-08 ammo was more readily available, I would steer you that direction as it hits the sweet spot for power vs recoil imo. That is what my wife shoots and has taken elk, deer, antelope, etc with no problems out to 300 yards.

Any of the 3, with quality bullets, are enough for elk, moose or bear at reasonable ranges. Since moose is on the menu, the .308 probably wins for me since it has such a wide range of factory projectiles. It's pretty easy to find 178 or 180 grain loads that would be more than suitable for elk and moose but it could be loaded down (for lighter recoil) for deer and antelope, if you choose to.

Now if your daughter is tough as nails and recoil doesn't bother her, by all means go bigger if that's what you and her want. Insurance never hurts as long as she can shoot it well.

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Several good options out there but it would be easier to make a recommendation if we knew a little more about her. For smaller framed shooters, I like the 7mm-08, the .308, and the new 6.5 cartridges. Ammo availability has changed a bit over the last few years. Hornady's current top produced caliber is 6.5 CM. Of course, .308 is readily available as well. With that in mind, I would either go with .308 or 6.5CM. If 7mm-08 ammo was more readily available, I would steer you that direction as it hits the sweet spot for power vs recoil imo. That is what my wife shoots and has taken elk, deer, antelope, etc with no problems out to 300 yards.

Any of the 3, with quality bullets, are enough for elk, moose or bear at reasonable ranges. Since moose is on the menu, the .308 probably wins for me since it has such a wide range of factory projectiles. It's pretty easy to find 178 or 180 grain loads that would be more than suitable for elk and moose but it could be loaded down (for lighter recoil) for deer and antelope, if you choose to.

Now if your daughter is tough as nails and recoil doesn't bother her, by all means go bigger if that's what you and her want. Insurance never hurts as long as she can shoot it well.
Well she is a high school softball player (pitcher) and rides horses and cleans stalls. She's not a sissy lala by no means.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I have two girls myself that are now in their twenties. I bought my oldest daughter a 270 WBY MAG Ultra Lightweight with an accubrake when she was 12 years old. She shot a cow elk, a 7x8 bull elk and an antelope her first year and never complained about recoil then or since (she's now 27). She has always disliked the noise from all guns, braked or not. I feel the 270 WBY MAG is the smallest caliber one should use on elk.

I bought my second daughter a 270 WIN with a Vias muzzle brake and it has no recoil at all. She has shot 3 six point bulls with it so far. The first 2 were one shot kills as well as a bull my wife killed with one shot. But the 3rd bull my daughter shot was a disaster. the first 2 bullets were perfect in the shoulder but had no penetration into the vitals. Third shot was a panic shot which hit the bull in the ass. The 4th shot was in the pocket and killed the bull. We will never hunt elk with a 270 WIN again. We're lucky we didn't lose that bull. For Christmas last year I bought her a gun identical to her sister's.

I would consider adding a silencer but I have no experience with them so I'm a little hesitant on spending $1200 for one.

If you're leaning towards one of those little calibers, take a look at the Camillas by Weatherby. I think the Camilla is an absolutely awesome ladies gun but they don't make them in what I consider a proper elk caliber. Just my opinion. They come in both Mark V and Vanguard actions so they can fit anybody's price point.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I’d recommend a 6.5 creedmore, this one is a Howa Superlite. It weighs 4.7 bare gun and it’s probably right close to 6 1/2 lbs now with scope and brake. Shoots great. I have 2 7mm’s & 06.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The way you become a better shot is by doing more shooting.

Rifles that are fun to shoot get shot more. I don't care to shoot a box through my .338, at all.

I don't even like shooting a box through my 7RM that much either.

But, I have no problem shooting 20-roinds at steel with my 7-08, 243/6mm, 22-250.

The three most important things when killing game are: shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement...roughly in that order. A good bullet matters too.

I think most hunters do themselves a huge disservice by purchasing and owning firearms that they shoot rarely, mainly because they just aren't fun to shoot.

If it were me, I'd go 7-08 and never look back. I have a lot of rifles, and the ones I shoot the best are the ones I shoot the most.

Rob Sev

Dec 12, 2020
I have two girls myself that are now in their twenties. I bought my oldest daughter a 270 WBY MAG Ultra Lightweight with an accubrake when she was 12 years old. She shot a cow elk, a 7x8 bull elk and an antelope her first year and never complained about recoil then or since (she's now 27). She has always disliked the noise from all guns, braked or not. I feel the 270 WBY MAG is the smallest caliber one should use on elk.

I bought my second daughter a 270 WIN with a Vias muzzle brake and it has no recoil at all. She has shot 3 six point bulls with it so far. The first 2 were one shot kills as well as a bull my wife killed with one shot. But the 3rd bull my daughter shot was a disaster. the first 2 bullets were perfect in the shoulder but had no penetration into the vitals. Third shot was a panic shot which hit the bull in the ass. The 4th shot was in the pocket and killed the bull. We will never hunt elk with a 270 WIN again. We're lucky we didn't lose that bull. For Christmas last year I bought her a gun identical to her sister's.

I would consider adding a silencer but I have no experience with them so I'm a little hesitant on spending $1200 for one.

If you're leaning towards one of those little calibers, take a look at the Camillas by Weatherby. I think the Camilla is an absolutely awesome ladies gun but they don't make them in what I consider a proper elk caliber. Just my opinion. They come in both Mark V and Vanguard actions so they can fit anybody's price point.
I was a little worried about a suppressor also. I finally bit the bullet and got one. When the guy was threading my barrel he said - now that youre getting started you “will” eventually buy more. I thought to myself - Naaaaahhhh, one is enough. I now own 3.😏. My granddaughter was a little gun shy because of the noise and recoil. The suppressor takes care of both of those problems. Now she doesn’t think twice about shooting my 270 WSM. Best shooting toy I ever purchased.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
BUZZ nailed it ref. shooting often and becoming very familiar with your rifle. I owned 3 Remington M700 rifles, all the mountain rifle version;
.308, 7mm-08, and 243. My grandson is only 140 lbs, and has shot all of them, and I eventually gave him the 7mm-08 as that is the one that he eventually bonded with. That rifle has taken quite a few deer, some antelope, and several critters of neferious nature. I would have no hesitation to use it for elk. I also have a 7mm Rem. Mag., and that rifle weighs more and kicks harder on both ends. The lad shot it a couple times and will likely never shoot it again.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
7mm-08 is hard to beat, a little less recoil than a .308 win but definitely gets the job done. Like Buzz said, shot placement trumps all, and the best way to achieve perfect shot placement is practice. FWIW, my daughter killed a bull two days before her 16th birthday last year with a 7mm-08 and it wouldn’t have been any deader than if I’d have shot it with my 30 Nosler. But she did put several hundred rounds through it and her .243 in the months prior to her hunt and had no problem setting up rock solid over her pack for the shot - because she had practiced a great deal without worrying about recoil.