Ohio muzzy trip

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I had a chance to go to Ohio over the weekend for a quick muzzy hunt and was able to accomplish my mission of putting some meat in the freezer. Despite a little string of bad luck, I was still able to get it done. I sat on the field edge where I shot a doe last year and had two deer with a dog hot on their trail run through the spot I was heading to when I was about 200 yards from it. Go figure! The dog proceeded to run around for the next 30 minutes or so and in my mind, polluting my chances of getting a doe for the freezer! Sunday morning I had one at 40 yards and when I pulled the trigger, there was a delay before discharge and I missed. A couple minutes later while reloading, I had a couple other deer come in shooting range including a couple smaller bucks. It was 9° so let's just say my fingers got a little cold reloading. Once I got set another doe came in at 30 yards and somehow I missed it. 0 for 2! She ran straight to me into 10 yards from me looking around and I noticed a missing palm saver on my ramrod and thought I may not have seated it incorrectly and shot it off. At this point, all I could do was laugh but I reloaded again and after not seeing anything for another hour, and having near frostbite on my toes and fingers, I decided to head out. As I was coming across the field a 10 point ran out into the middle of the field at 100 yards and stopped broadside. Unfortunately for me I would be shooting towards a road and a truck was coming down it. He proceeded to run 500 yards across the field with no chance of a shot. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all! Didn't see much the next morning but went out the next evening before dark, I had another doe come in at 40 yards and she put her head down to eat and let's just say she never lifted it again, she dropped in her tracks. I also found my palm saver and it appears the metal it screws to simply broke, I assume from the cold. After loading it in the back of the truck to take to the butcher, I found out was ill and they weren't processing any more deer this year. I had my Eastmans outdoor edge and was able to put to good use in 10° temperatures. My goal was to take a doe to put in the freezer, anything else would've been a bonus. I'll consider my buck tag a donation to the state of Ohio again but I know she will eat good this year. These pics aren't the greatest, but here are a few. I need to teach my buddy some photography tips. The Mastif in the background weighs 135 pounds and I am 6'2 210 to give you some perspective on her weight.

IMG_2434.jpgIMG_2436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I forgot to mention this trip started with me carrying a big camo bag and my muzzleloader past heavily armed police all over the airport as it was a half hour after the airport shooting in Fort Lauderdale Friday. Certainly stuck out like a sore thumb and got many more strange looks than usual when I've traveled for hunting in the past. It made for a very interesting start.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Congratulations Dan. I was wondering how the hunt went. Meant to call you but I've been super busy. Bout time you ground checked something besides a grouse...lol.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Congrats on your Ohio visit! One day in the future we'll have to have a cup of coffee when you're in town.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Yes, CVA optima, using red hots with power belts. I am assuming it was a result of moisture going from room temp to cold a couple times?

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Yes, CVA optima, using red hots with power belts. I am assuming it was a result of moisture going from room temp to cold a couple times?
Hard to say for sure? I've never had a hangfire while hunting or at the range. I routinely bring my gun in at night then back out in the cold in the morning. Never had an issue doing that. I've mostly used T7 & BH209 powder though.