Official Post Padding Thread

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Crummy weather kept me from flying today so I took my wife and lab on a last minute hike on the trails by Anchorage. As we rounded a corner in the trail we came face to face with a large boar brown bear. My lab was no more than 5 feet from him. My wife and I were about 25 yards away.

The bear took an immediate interest in the dog, who decided that being close to us was a good thing. So of course the bear came towards us at a fast walk. We were back peddling it pretty good and trying to get up a small hill and away from the trail a little. My wife was looking for a climbable tree. I only had my little Ruger LCR .38 that I always carry. I shot a round in front of the bear when he was about 20 yards away and that made him stop. He eventually decided to leave the trail on the opposite side and slowly wandered off.

This happened at about the 4 mile mark of our 5 mile hike but it's funny how fast we made that last mile! It figures that the one time we hiked without good bear protection, we encounter a big, semi-aggresive boar, right by town!

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
AK, I was up there about a month ago and was told a lady was mauled by Anchorage while I was there. Glad your hike turned out OK. I carried a 12 gauge pump with slugs pretty much all the time while out in the bush. Bil toted his 45-70 Winchester and he called it his pepper spray when ever the pilots asked us if we had any pepper spray. Beautiful country up there you live in.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Interesting news in Alaska about a hunting show called "The Syndicate". They have been charged with several criminal acts involving their hunts in Alaska. Apparently they are not Alaska residents and hunted as though they were, not using guides etc.

I've never seen the show but I'm glad they were caught and charged.

Also, a pretty severe mauling of a 62 year old guy on the Kenai Peninsula yesterday. He had to be flown to Seattle for surgeries. Keep him in your prayers, he took quite a beating.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Meanwhile, here in Louisiana, the LDWF and the good ol Endangered species act are doing a good job of building up the "Louisiana black bear" subspecies. (Same thing as the thousands of other black bears spread all over North America, just smaller and mangier.) Luckily, they should be delisted soon (I'll believe it when I see it), so landowners will get to start killing the pesky little boogers legally again. They are already showing up in neighborhoods causing problems. Granted, they are not the problem childs that grizzlies are, but there is A LOT bigger human population here in LA for these bears to interact with compared to the western frontier. Our forefathers are probably rolling over in their graves right now because all of the hard work they did in the past with predator control being flushed down the drain.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
About 30 days from now, thousands of hunters will hit the woods to kill up to 320 black bears in Florida in a week for the first time in 20 years! Way too many human interactions but those areas are not what is open to hunt, go figure!

Sure does not compare to AK mauling but that guy is definitely in prayers.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Meanwhile, here in Louisiana, the LDWF and the good ol Endangered species act are doing a good job of building up the "Louisiana black bear" subspecies. (Same thing as the thousands of other black bears spread all over North America, just smaller and mangier.) Luckily, they should be delisted soon (I'll believe it when I see it), so landowners will get to start killing the pesky little boogers legally again. They are already showing up in neighborhoods causing problems. Granted, they are not the problem childs that grizzlies are, but there is A LOT bigger human population here in LA for these bears to interact with compared to the western frontier. Our forefathers are probably rolling over in their graves right now because all of the hard work they did in the past with predator control being flushed down the drain.
I hear ya, last thing I want is a 250lb coon messing with things when they've already been wiped out once, but somehow they're getting into East Texas over the past few years. The sighting locations are baffling though because they migrate over and then take up residency on what little public land there is, with no free meals? It's not passing the smell test.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
From the Syndicates "Facebook" page

To our Fans, Friends, Sponsors and Family,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter to inform all of you of the unfortunate actions allegedly taken by former associates of Syndicate Hunting. The alleged actions taken by the two individuals is not a practice of or reflect the professionalism and respect we all have for the integrity of game hunting.

Upon being informed by the authorities of charges against Mr. Clark Dixon and Mr. Lance Walker they were terminated immediately by Syndicate Hunting. Mr. Dixon and Mr. Walker solely conducted their activities without the knowledge of Syndicate Hunting and no other representatives of Syndicate Hunting were present during their actions. Syndicate Hunting nor the Managing Members of Syndicate hunting have not been charged with any illegal activities.

The Managing team of Syndicate Hunting were assured that all permits, including film permits were in order. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The Management team of Syndicate Hunting accepts full responsibility for not confirming that all permits were issued.

We at Syndicate Hunting have the highest regard, support and respect for the outdoors and laws and regulations for all game hunting and fishing. This is how we were raised and this is how we are raising our children. This is our way of life.

Syndicate Hunting Management sincerely apologizes to our sponsors, fans, friends and families for this unfortunate situation. We appreciate your understanding and are working diligently to make sure this does not happen again. We ask that you stick with us and remain committed to the values, ethics and honesty that Syndicate Hunting represents.

Sincerely,
Michael Dianda
Managing Director, Syndicate Hunting

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
My son has decided on the University of Wyoming and been accepted starting next year. Now maybe we'll start using some of those preference points we've been buying!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
k guys, I need some help getting a gift for my dads 70th b day. he's a Vietnam vet, he loves the mountains and outdoors like we all do on here. but hes unable to enjoy them as much as he once could, health reasons. racking my brain on what to get him but cant think of anything. I thought a nice smoker but he already has one I just found out. any help?