Official 2014 NV scouting thread.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I'm headed out this afternoon to check cams for the first time. It's been hard to let them sit for a week and not go look and see if I got anything. Pretty excited to check them out. Hope it's not a bunch of cows and horses! Lol heck I hope I set them up properly. I'll post up what I find if anything.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Every time I look at this thread I want to go AWOL!! between 2 weeks of near 100 temps that made crops ready sooner then expected and my dad being gone for 2 weeks then in the hospital for another week right after he got back and a trip I have to make to CA next week I just cant see my scouting trip happening this month or next. I am tempted to go on my way to CA but I wouldnt have much time so not sure its worth the extra miles. But if you see someone driving around 041 042 towing a combine header dont worry its just me! HAHA

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Two differant 3x3 pushin 30" wide in the first set of photos.

Stupid cows licked my trail cams off their mounting. Lol learning experience I guess since it was my first time using cams. Reattached to some posts. They ain't coming off now. My luck the lenses will get slobberd up full of cow spit.
Did get a cool pic of a doe and a spotted fawn.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Two differant 3x3 pushin 30" wide in the first set of photos.

Stupid cows licked my trail cams off their mounting. Lol learning experience I guess since it was my first time using cams. Reattached to some posts. They ain't coming off now. My luck the lenses will get slobberd up full of cow spit.
Did get a cool pic of a doe and a spotted fawn.
I had a horse use one of my cameras for an itching post or something. Bunch of pics of a horse getting closer and closer than black then nothing.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Mount them higher & angled downward. You avoid livestock and tend to get better/brighter nighttime pics.

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
You're making me squirm in my armchair with those dandy bucks!
It's hard to mount those trail cameras high enough so that a bored horse doesn't nibble on it.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I've put a cpl up using a climbing stand before. I wanted a coverage of my bow stand set-up and the camera actually picked up everything within 30yds.....then I changed locations when nothing close to what I'd shoot came through in over a month.

I'm seeing deer and bulls that a cpl guys are [seeing/getting TC pics] of in NV and it looks like the antlers are coming along quite well.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I've put a cpl up using a climbing stand before. I wanted a coverage of my bow stand set-up and the camera actually picked up everything within 30yds.....then I changed locations when nothing close to what I'd shoot came through in over a month.

I'm seeing deer and bulls that a cpl guys are [seeing/getting TC pics] of in NV and it looks like the antlers are coming along quite well.
I've heard the same about the elk this year in. Ely as well. We just got a few days of great rain so hopefully the hors are going to keep up the pace.

JasonGNV

Very Active Member
Jul 17, 2013
Smith
I can't wait to get a look, 5 more working days and I'm gone for 18. I'll try and get some good pics in my areas so the muzzy and rifle guys can see how growth is going. By looking at IKIC's pics I won't be disappointed.