NR Sheep/Goats etc to 10%

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
Nope, just submitted. Outfitter council might be against it but public support seems pretty good from what I've read.

I could be wrong, but IMO the general public in WY is being mislead as to the true fiscal impact because the fiscal note fails to take into account reduced NR preference point revenue...

Horniac

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
Meh who cares...NR odds were garbage anyway for any NR who did not get in on the ground floor of preference points....all it will do is cost the state money.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Yea it's hard to argue against it, even though I'm a NR. It'll be interesting to see how many people drop out of the point rat race.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
In all honesty, it's a fair move, as the majority of other states have equivalent non resident quotas for MSG. Unless you got in on the ground floor, you aren't getting a tag anyways.

I am concerned that elk, deer and antelope changes won't be far behind though.

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
As a Non-resident I hate to see it especially since I have built up a lot of Moose pts. If I were a resident I would probably applauded it. My biggest concern is just as " Fink " stated above how will it effect the drawing of other species down the road. I think it could cost the state of Wyoming money due to the amount of NR hunters who may choose to get out or not get in the draws as well as the differences between NR and Resident tags. As a non-resident I pay a pretty hefty fee to hunt in Wyoming as well as too buy preference points and I am OK with it but this will make a lot of NR hunters step back and take another look at the whole picture. I love hunting in Wyoming to much to quit.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It will cost us money, which will raise resident prices. Then the same residents who griped about draw odds will gripe about prices going up. Dumb decision IMO if this passes.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Stig87

Apr 14, 2011
Wyoming
Looking at drawing odds for many of the moose areas in the state, I would be better served to leave the state for a couple of years to draw a good moose tag with my points, as opposed to waiting another 5-10 or more years as a resident for the same tag. This bill is definitely enticing for residents.

It does seem a little rediculous to me that a NR can draw the same moose tag with 3 to 4 less points than a resident can. Drawing odds reflect the same thing for many of the sheep areas as well. Just my .02

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
It does seem a little ridiculous to me that a NR can draw the same moose tag with 3 to 4 less points than a resident can. Drawing odds reflect the same thing for many of the sheep areas as well. Just my .02
And the reason for the Legislation. Money loss aside, it's the right thing to do for residents.
Yea, the bar is getting moved and AZ is moving theirs to for 2016. Sometimes things need to change after 15-20 years of data.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
And the reason for the Legislation. Money loss aside, it's the right thing to do for residents.
Yea, the bar is getting moved and AZ is moving theirs to for 2016. Sometimes things need to change after 15-20 years of data.
What is the change in AZ that you are talking about?

And I agree with Fink and CrossCreeks, I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before the quotas for deer, elk and antelope will be changed.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I don't play the pref. pt. game in most states because they just pile it on. From a non-refundable hunting license, the cost of points, and then if you do draw, the huge cost of the tag. As it is, I can't wait 15 or 20 years to draw a tag, while chasing after a moving number. I don't know why WGF prices NR moose at 12 times the resident rate and goat & sheep at 18 times the res. rate, but there is likely a number cruncher in a little room somewhere working out how to maximize the $ coming in. You can have draw equity by just reducing the NR rates, applications would skyrocket, NR draw odds would worsen, and life would be fair.