Not Sitting At Home

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As I mentioned I usually just use this spot for cows but those permits now take 2 or 3 points to draw in this unit instead of being on a left over list. I have found that if you just plop your rear down and sit from sunup to sundown for a number of days that a elk will wander through the area. Those elk kind of have a routine on how they travel, it took me a while to figure them out but if you hit it right you will only be there for a day but I have also sat there for almost the whole season before they come through.

It is in a area that people have no idea that there are elk in it but the small herd of around 30 animals do quite well living so close to civilization. This is the first bull that I have taken out of the herd and perhaps it isn't the last.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have a spot like that for a cow hunt also. bulls are a draw hunt but cows are gen season with capped tags.

every time I have had a tag for this hunt it is merely a matter of parking on side of highway, walking up a draw a few hundred yards. and sitting down to wait for daylight and other hunters to push em down the draw. seldom takes more then a couple days to fill a tag.
I should add it generally works best towards end of season. I usually don't bother much with early season unless it has been unusually fowl weather.

when there is snow on the ground I can generally drag the cow whole down the draw to the highway, myself with minimal effort. when there is no snow . I generally just go ahead and quarter it for a short packout .

great hunt when you simply want meat.

Reactions: JimP

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
You have to love an easy hunt. Get out, relax, enjoy the surroundings and shoot something. Kudos for figuring that spot out.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Now to finish the story.

After two days of fog, rain, snow, and wind I was sitting in my spot this morning waiting for the fog to lift. Once it did the sun was out and drying things out quite quickly. The morning passed without seeing anything except for the birds that were getting quite put off with me not shooting something where they could enjoy whatever I would leave behind.

Noon came and I decided to have lunch and a cup of coffee. I ate my sandwich and was enjoying sitting in the sun finishing off a cup of coffee when I herd some noise down below me. It was too big to be a deer, or at least that I what I thought but I didn't pay it much attention. A few minutes later a cow elk stepped out of the trees at about 50 yards and there I sat with my rifle behind me leaning against a tree. I rolled over and managed to get the rifle without her spooking. She was looking behind her when a calf came out and then a group of another 5 cows and caves. I was watching them feed and make their way down the ridge when I noticed another animal starting to feed out into the opening. I saw his hide and knew it was a bull, so the rifle was soon up to my shoulder waiting for a shot and to see if he was big enough to be legal.

You all know just how long it takes for a animal to feed into the open without showing you what kind of headgear he might be wearing, but he finally came out and was quartering towards me. I placed the cross hairs onto him and pulled the trigger, he dropped right where he was standing. The 225 grain TTSX bullet had done it's job and punched a fairly good size hole into his off side.

I paced off the distance and it was 30 steps from where I had been sitting for 4 1/2 days... My spot never fails me.View attachment 37475
Congrats!!!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Well, the other day I decided that I wasn't going to sit at home while everyone else was out chasing animals so without a deer tag that never showed up for me in the draw I headed down to the local store to pick up a bull elk tag and go sit in my spot to see what might wander past.

Well, after being here from sunup today and not seeing anything other than birds I heard a noise, I just knew that it was my herd of elk coming my way. After about 45 minutes of waiting and wondering this guy stepped out of the trees and gave me the old stink eye.

The things that you see when you don't have the proper tag in hand.

View attachment 37436
This is a really cool buck, based on his face and lack of cuts on his ears he looks pretty young.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Tomorrow is suppose to be a good day with a storm moving in for Wednesday and then good again on Thursday.

Scott, some of his back straps were delicious.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Leaving in the morning to scout (again) the units Winchester and I will hunt deer and elk in 4th season. Between seasons and should be pretty calm there now.
Spent most of the day in the unit Winchester and I are hunting 4th season. Saw a few deer (a couple of bucks) and a few elk. The one thing that struck me is how warm and dry it is. Today the temps were in the 50's, which is really warm for this time of year. Saw a little water in the stock tanks, but really dry. Most of the seep springs I know about are dry too. Rut looks like it is just beginning as the bucks I saw were nosing around the does, but not being aggressive with the does. Unless we get some weather, it could be a tough season. I still have a couple of aces up my sleeve so things may not be all that bad. We'll see.....................

Last edited: