Northwest legal muzzleloader

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Hey all, I’m looking at purchasing a muzzleloader that’s northwest legal. I’m aware of each of the states different rules. I’m just curious what brands guys are using. There seem to be a few good options out there. Would like to know some pros and cons. And is there a “better” powder for these guns? I shoot Blackhorn 209 currently in my setup, but I know it doesn’t work with percussion or musket caps. Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem is that you need to look at each state and deal with them differently. I am covered in all of them.

I have a .54 Thompson Center Renegade side lock where I use Prodex and a solid 430 grain maxi ball.... this rife is legal in all the states that I know of.

I also have a .50 Thompson Center Triumph inline that shoots conocials and has a iron sight. I shoot lead or jacket bullet I have found a load for all of them. It has a exposed hammer for those states that require it. It does use a .209 primer system. This rifle gets Pyrodex, or BH 209....depending...

Finally I have a .50 CVA Accura. It has a scope and no sights. I'll shoot .45 cal saboted bullets out of it using BH 209 and a .209 primer.

Of all of the muzzle loaders that I have I like the TC Renegade the best. Just something about a more traditional rifle for the muzzle loader hunts. I have taken deer and elk with both of the Thompson Center rifles and just a deer so far with the CVA...

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Same things as CC but my gun is a CVA MR NITRIDE.

I certainly got some strange looks from a guy I bumped into while muzzleloader hunting with mine. He didn't say anything but sure was trying to check it out. I didn't want him to seeall (pun intended) what I was using....

Cant speak for Cap guns as I dont have one. Only 209 for me.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
idaho does not allow the use of 209 primers or buckhorn 209. open sights only and the primer must be exposed. i bought a traditions but i am not a muzzleloader guy in any way shape or form.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Don’t forget it has to be an all lead projectile and loose powder. I’ve been running a 54 TC Renegade. I’d go with a 50 because the 54 stuff is starting to be fazed out, as I figured out this year.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Here is my T?C Pro Hunter, 50 cal. I t has SeeAll sights that are legal in Colorado. Also uses 209 primers. Shoots very well .
View attachment 32994View attachment 32995
I likes it! looks like a pretty sweet top stuffer.
unfortunately it would not be legal here in idaho. been so long since I have hunted blackpowder I am no longer even sure what mine is.

I believe it was called a knight american but not 100% sure without digging it out.

I do know it is an inline .50 cal. used to shoot the pyrodex pellets and sabots but they outlawed both.

they also don't have much in the way of BP hunts like we used to so I retired it to the safe.

also had a tc scout .54 that I killed a lot of game with but ended up selling it a couple years ago still have some .54 bullets and a few other items I kept , though I don't know why. I doubt I will ever buy another .54

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Look at the new Federal Firestick. Its been in the works for a few years to make sure it passed all the legal rules/laws in states. They didn't want to make it and only have it legal in a handful of states.

It meets.....
1) Muzzle loader definition of most states that a projectile has to be loaded from the muzzle
2) Gotta use loose powder

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I think the Federal Firestick would be a no-no in Idaho because, as tim pointed out, 209 primers are not legal there for a muzzleloader only season.

When I last hunted with a muzzleloader in Idaho, I used loose Pyrodex and flangeless musket caps (photo 1). The musket caps seemed to have more reliable ignition than percussion caps.

Prior to going with an inline, I used percussion caps with Pyrodex (photo 2).

7BD6977F-DE6F-4C7A-9E4D-1791FEC72C2B.jpeg

8BBEABA9-3ED7-4232-852D-68749621349F.jpeg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am giving up M/L hunting . Here in Colorado M/L hunts at the same time as archery. There are probably 50 to 1 archery over M/L (depending on the unit). Also M/L has to wear the same blaze orange as all rifle hunters do and of course archery is in camo. If we had a separate season it would sure help.
So my TC Pro Hunter is for sale.

• Sad
Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am giving up M/L hunting . Here in Colorado M/L hunts at the same time as archery. There are probably 50 to 1 archery over M/L (depending on the unit). Also M/L has to wear the same blaze orange as all rifle hunters do and of course archery is in camo. If we had a separate season it would sure help.
So my TC Pro Hunter is for sale.
I stopped for pretty much the same reasons . there just isn't a lot of BP opportunity here in idaho anymore ,unless you are willing to do it during archery and rifle seasons .

still.... if your gun was legal here I would have been interested.

what are you asking for it ?

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
That was the trip. Even though it was a short pack, he whined the whole time 😀