Non-res Application

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I just submitted another application to Nevada for the 10th time. While researching units for deer I noticed that my draw odds have decreased for many units. They appear to be similar to the point total that I had a few years ago or worse. This is rather disappointing and a disadvantage of a bonus point state. Your odds can and will get lower when an unprecedented amount of applicants hop into the draw system. This is unlike a preference point system which you will only be affected when you spend your points and start over.

My question is why do you think so many have decided to add Nevada to their hunting strategy when it is one of the most expensive states and has such low draw odds with only 505 antlered deer tags for non-res rifle hunters? Do you prefer preference points over bonus points?

Reactions: El Serio

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Its because its a bonus point system and you have a chance to draw at any time, lower tag numbers more folks wanting to hunt effect everything. How is it one of the most expensive states? There are no upfront tag costs between 15 and 20 bucks per app but you do have to buy a license.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I think that Nevada is perceived as managing for quality rather than quantity. If you're in for desert bighorn for instance, they have by far the most opportunity and arguably the best quality . Once you buy a license to apply for one species, you might as well build points for several. Many of the deer applications may be an afterthought from people whose primary goal is Elk, sheep etc, but add deer because they already bought a license.

Also, I tend to apply more to states that are close to me. If you look at the population of the states that border Nevada there are tens of millions of people who count Nevada as their nearest non-resident hunting opportunity. (Obviously not all hunters). That may play a role as well.

I prefer hybrid point systems, where you have a chance upfront, but end up with a guaranteed tag at some point when you're the highest point holder.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I think part of the reason is that there are less tags available across other states like Wyoming. People want to hunt Mule Deer and they are having to look to places they probably didn’t consider in the past.

Reactions: 00BUCK

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I believe their are many factors driving the increase in applicants for Nevada, It really depends on your strategy. Some may be after a sheep tag since Nevada has more then sheep then any other state and some it may be proximity or the random draw that the system provides. I think for many their goal is to just draw more tags so they add Nevada knowing it is random.

I believe the main concern with Nevada for a rifle hunter is if you just want to draw more tags and are applying for green chip units as your 4th and 5th choice for deer and antelope you may be surprised at how long that will take and the financial investment it will demand.

When I first started applying in Nevada 10 years ago I researched the data and decided that I could possibly draw a lower end green chip deer and antelope unit in about 5-9 years based on those trends at that time. Reassessing the current trends I now believe I have another 5 years or so until I may draw based on averages and the additional applicants among other factors. For me I have already invested around $2,100 without drawing a tag.

If you were just getting started in the last couple of years and were after say green chip units for deer and antelope your looking at 20 plus years to realistically drawing a tag. We all know its random and you may get lucky but NV squares the points and it cuts that way back for a low point holder. That investment of 20 years is over $4,000. Their are many quality outfitted hunts that you could go on now.

Let me know your thoughts or strategy on NV. These are just my findings based on my strategy. I do also apply for elk but may never draw 1 tag with the odds.

Reactions: El Serio

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I believe their are many factors driving the increase in applicants for Nevada, It really depends on your strategy. Some may be after a sheep tag since Nevada has more then sheep then any other state and some it may be proximity or the random draw that the system provides. I think for many their goal is to just draw more tags so they add Nevada knowing it is random.

I believe the main concern with Nevada for a rifle hunter is if you just want to draw more tags and are applying for green chip units as your 4th and 5th choice for deer and antelope you may be surprised at how long that will take and the financial investment it will demand.

When I first started applying in Nevada 10 years ago I researched the data and decided that I could possibly draw a lower end green chip deer and antelope unit in about 5-9 years based on those trends at that time. Reassessing the current trends I now believe I have another 5 years or so until I may draw based on averages and the additional applicants among other factors. For me I have already invested around $2,100 without drawing a tag.

If you were just getting started in the last couple of years and were after say green chip units for deer and antelope your looking at 20 plus years to realistically drawing a tag. We all know its random and you may get lucky but NV squares the points and it cuts that way back for a low point holder. That investment of 20 years is over $4,000. Their are many quality outfitted hunts that you could go on now.

Let me know your thoughts or strategy on NV. These are just my findings based on my strategy. I do also apply for elk but may never draw 1 tag with the odds.
I agree with your assessment 100%. I started applying for Nevada with archery in mind, but my family situation won't currently allow me to take the time required to successfully bowhunt. When you start looking at NR odds reports in the rifle category it is pretty depressing, years pass and you accrue more points, but with extreme point creep, your rifle odds don't ever seem to improve much. I have decided not to try to accrue any more points because for me the points that $155 annual license brings me just aren't worth the cost. I do want to keep my existing points for the future however, hoping for a day when archery works again for me. If I happen to draw a rifle tag in the meantime that's cool, but I don't plan on it ever actually happening.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

Playing the game of averages is the smart play in terms of being realistic. Nevada can never be considered a absolute. I got into the game before the Covid uptick in applications and theoretically should draw before all the low end point holders. However, with a giant uptick in low point holders joining the game we will see more of them "get lucky" because of accuracy by volume. This will raise the bottom end of the bellcurve of successful applicants on the left side while likely lowering the middle of the curve over time. Fun math games eh? I thought I left that stuff behind in college!

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Your odds are going down for 2 reasons: an overall decrease in the number of tags and increased demand. The first is due to the ongoing drought that is showing no signs of letting up. I think NV does an outstanding job of managing their game species, but due to the arid nature of the state they will never have the numbers of deer/elk/antelope that other states do. Hopefully they will get some much-needed moisture soon and the herds will rebound.

Apps are up all across the west and will likely continue to increase. When I started applying out west, there were basically three services that promoted western BG hunting: Hunter's Trailhead, Eastmans, and Huntin Fool. Now you have those 3, Epic Outdoors, Toprut, and GoHunt. Even OnXmaps has been hyping it up along with HuntWise to get more subscribers for their mapping services. State game agencies themselves are sending out reminder after reminder for their draws and raffles. I don't see this trend slowing down unless there is a major hit to the economy and/or a recession.

There are only 505 antlered tags for deer, less for elk, and even less for sheep. Preference points don't work with so few tags and ever-increasing demand. If NV did this, it would soon look like WY sheep and moose (for NR) or the NW elk units in CO. If you didn't get in the first couple of years, then you would essentially be excluded from ever drawing. NV saw this on the front end and IMO came up with the best solution: reward you for past apps by squaring points while never excluding anyone from having a chance.

I feel your pain as this is my 10th year as well and I've drawn 0 tags. I apply like you for primo units as choices 1-3 and mid-tier units as choices 4-5. I don't know if you looked at the final tag numbers for this year yet. They cut NR deer tags by 80% on some of the late rifle hunts. Ouch!

Reactions: 00BUCK and El Serio

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Your odds are going down for 2 reasons: an overall decrease in the number of tags and increased demand. The first is due to the ongoing drought that is showing no signs of letting up. I think NV does an outstanding job of managing their game species, but due to the arid nature of the state they will never have the numbers of deer/elk/antelope that other states do. Hopefully they will get some much-needed moisture soon and the herds will rebound.

Apps are up all across the west and will likely continue to increase. When I started applying out west, there were basically three services that promoted western BG hunting: Hunter's Trailhead, Eastmans, and Huntin Fool. Now you have those 3, Epic Outdoors, Toprut, and GoHunt. Even OnXmaps has been hyping it up along with HuntWise to get more subscribers for their mapping services. State game agencies themselves are sending out reminder after reminder for their draws and raffles. I don't see this trend slowing down unless there is a major hit to the economy and/or a recession.

There are only 505 antlered tags for deer, less for elk, and even less for sheep. Preference points don't work with so few tags and ever-increasing demand. If NV did this, it would soon look like WY sheep and moose (for NR) or the NW elk units in CO. If you didn't get in the first couple of years, then you would essentially be excluded from ever drawing. NV saw this on the front end and IMO came up with the best solution: reward you for past apps by squaring points while never excluding anyone from having a chance.

I feel your pain as this is my 10th year as well and I've drawn 0 tags. I apply like you for primo units as choices 1-3 and mid-tier units as choices 4-5. I don't know if you looked at the final tag numbers for this year yet. They cut NR deer tags by 80% on some of the late rifle hunts. Ouch!
You hit the nail on the head with the drought and then couple it in a lot of areas with HUGE numbers of wild horses and that is no good at all!

The bonus points squared system is good, but it still doesn't hurt to be lucky. The waiting period for elk is also a good thing.