No Lead Bullets Mandatory in CA Next Year

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
California DFG has supposedly compiled an "all inclusive" list of manufacturers of no lead components and ammunition. My confidence is so high in the completeness of that accomplishment that I have at least one box of factory no lead ammunition for my CA hunt guns, in case the DFG later decides that it too difficult to determine the manufacturer of the components. Funny thing, did you know that those factory ammo boxes are refillable? :confused:
The ammo manufacturers should stop selling lead ammo to police depts., FBI, Homeland security, DOJ. and State Police in California at the same time this crap of a bill becomes law. Barrett stopped selling it's guns to LE in California. The ammo makers should do the same.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Let me start by saying that I still use lead bullets and fishing weights. That being said, the lead ban is coming for everyone. Might as well, get prepared.

I'm on the other side of the fence than most people and might be called a traitor, but the banning of lead in every aspect has produced nothing but positive results for wildlife and humans. Was there anything better than banning lead for waterfowl hunting? Removal of lead from paint?

I know most of you think this is a big plot to kill hunting but I disagree. Did it kill waterfowl hunting? No. I think people are rightly scared whenever any aspect of our hunting heritage is changed.
The only thing better than banning lead shot from waterfowl hunting would be if they didn't ban it. That was just another bunny-hugger idea that took root.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
As I remember they claimed the condors were eating bullets in animals that were wounded and not recovered. I also read that condors live around landfills and eat old batteries in them and that is the biggest way they get lead poisoning. Not a very smart bird if you ask me but that is California. The stupid trying to save the stupid........

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
California needs to be separated in two states. There are too many southern Californian liberals deciding how people should live their lives hundreds of miles away. Stealing water from northern california draining our rivers dry so we don't have any more salmon and steelhead to catch.

That being said I only shoot non lead bullets. The performance has been amazing for me! All five animals this year were shot with five bullets. At ranges from 100 yards to 430 yards. I just got back from Utah and was able to fill my cow elk tag at 409 yards with my 257 wby using Hornady 90 grain gmx. She ran sixty yards was bleeding like a siv and upon butchering I found the bullet lodged against the
hide of the far shoulder. Give copper a shot I have had killer results.

As far as .22s thats going to be tough I'm pretty sure CCI loads a non lead in .22 LR but I don't see it very often. When are there going to be some tungstan rifle loads being made. Shooting hevi shot at waterfowl has fantastic knockdown why not make some rifle loads out of that stuff

Roger L

Aug 17, 2011
I've been here for 60 + years and I'm sick of it. The wife is going to live on the Calif side and I'll be in Nevada!!

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I'm on my way to Idaho by April. Ca. Sucks and I was born here and lived here for 63 years.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I'm thinking the southwest. I like the Council area but not yet decided. I retired in August and am in the process of "freshening" up my house here. As soon as it's ready to go on the market(April?), I am heading north in the RV and will stay in it up there until I find where I want to live and the house sells. I have a sister in Meridian.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
As I remember they claimed the condors were eating bullets in animals that were wounded and not recovered. I also read that condors live around landfills and eat old batteries in them and that is the biggest way they get lead poisoning. Not a very smart bird if you ask me but that is California. The stupid trying to save the stupid........
I recently saw this on pbs about the condors eating bullets and getting lead poisoning. They didn't mention the landfill deal that I saw.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I recently saw this on pbs about the condors eating bullets and getting lead poisoning. They didn't mention the landfill deal that I saw.
When the results fit your narrative, you run with it.

Just like wolves were never "hunted" free from the Rockies. They were poisoned/trapped. But If you can equate hunting with what happened the first time, people will be more sympathetic to no hunting

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
True that. Everything has to be read in context of the agenda. So trying to stay on topic, [emoji4]are there efforts to clean up old landfills and lead piping in California or is that written off as a lost cause. Leaching into the ground and groundwater seems like the much bigger source as it goes up the food chain. I was just wondering how far the lead cleanup cause was going. I did get a little off topic there, sorry

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I was under the impression that chunks of "pure" lead are fairly inert, they don't oxidize or breakdown much at all and it is only problematic when ingested and exposed to acidic digestive juices? If correct, lead in a landfill should not pose much of a problem at all unless it is almost in a very small powered form?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
The powdered or fine stuff breaks down faster I think for sure. Longer term I think that depends on the soil or water. Kindof like what's happening in Michigan if your soil or water has a less or more than neutral ph it will corrode anything and break it down and permeate the area. The soil in landfills and waste water ponds is pretty carefully controlled now for corrosive properties and a clay liner to slow (but not stop) contaminates from seeping out, but that is fairly new and I am sure a lot of lead just got dumped. California is usually a lot stricter on that stuff I just didn't know if there was any remediation or just going after bullets anyway they could I guess. Our soil has a lot of alkali and sulfur and coal which is hard on everything including rebar and concrete. Tedious stuff at work today so no motivation[emoji4]

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Good info. guys, thanks. Probably why I was told to always be up wind when processing lead (tire weights in the day) into ingots for later casting into fishing sinkers. Thinking back on all the split shot we used to crimp with our teeth as kids, am pretty sure I should be dead...

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Apparently soil is a good place for lead. It kindof traps it even if it oxidizes. Just shouldn't get into water for transport or buzzards eating batteries transports it also. I guess no condor poop mayonnaise, lead sinkers, and dirt sandwiches anymore.

Last edited: