No Lead Bullets Mandatory in CA Next Year

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Most everyone reading this knows that we will be faced with the mandatory use of no lead bullets for hunting in many areas of the state next year. That means re-sighting everything in before next season. There seem to be good stocks now, but I predict there will be a shortage of the no lead bullets in some calibers next year. Suggest you get your anticipated ammo and reloading needs while they are available.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Most everyone reading this knows that we will be faced with the mandatory use of no lead bullets for hunting in many areas of the state next year. That means re-sighting everything in before next season. There seem to be good stocks now, but I predict there will be a shortage of the no lead bullets in some calibers next year. Suggest you get your anticipated ammo and reloading needs while they are available.
I understand that lead ammunition will be illegal and won't be allowed to be sold in California in a couple of years.

Sure glad I left when I retired 15 years ago.

drifli

Jun 7, 2015
Tahoe, Yosemite,
It's almost funny. I can attach lead weights to my fishing line and throw them in the water but I can't hunt with lead bullets. The irony of living in California.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
How many tire weights are in the storm drains? If I understand it right, you can still target shoot with lead ammo and still use it for anything but hunting. This law includes shotgun for upland game and rimfire ammo. Have you seen any .22 non lead ammo? And you think regular .22 ammo is rare and dear. I have had it with this stupid state. I'm moving next year.
And it is not just for some areas but ALL of the state.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
It is just Anti Hunting, and Anti Gun with the excuse of the Condor's. MM you have seen the buying and manipulating of elections by the liberal's. We have to educate all that think that it is just to save the Condor's. And yes even through the written words I could sense the tongue in cheek. God bless ya'll

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
They just announced a coming ban on lead fishing weights as well. I cannot wait to leave this lunacy.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
How many tire weights are in the storm drains? If I understand it right, you can still target shoot with lead ammo and still use it for anything but hunting. This law includes shotgun for upland game and rimfire ammo. Have you seen any .22 non lead ammo? And you think regular .22 ammo is rare and dear. I have had it with this stupid state. I'm moving next year.
And it is not just for some areas but ALL of the state.
Generally, that is correct, but there is no short answer to your question. "Lead can still be used for all non-hunting purposes, including target shooting." This is all headed toward a the July 1, 2019 requirement that hunters must use nonleaded ammunition when taking any animal anywhere in the state for any purpose. AB 711 originally contained a provision that would supply hunters for a coupon to be used to purchase no lead ammunition. That was suspended because of lack of funding. I guess they need the money for the crazy train.

larrylur

Sep 20, 2011
Livermore, California
Not that I want to, but I have been getting ready for this, since the law was signed. I have a few deer rifles so I have been reloading Barnes TSX bullets for one of them in the .308 variety. I have come up with a very accurate load that will become my Ca. bullet and as far as cost, I'm saving money loading my own in stead of buying factory.

My .270 and 30.06 will be for out of state lead hunting of big game.

The other small caliber bullets (.17 or .22) are not going to be readily available for some time and unfortunately I don't have an answer at this time for that.

I'm 20 years from leaving this state with my career and family obligations and I probably will leave some day, but for now, I will use my reloading equipment as much as possible to minimize problems with availability and cost.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
even know the new law is based on misinformation it will spread to other states as for lead free bullets the barnes tsx works well

genesis27:3

Mar 12, 2015
North Carolina
What are all of the big city street gangs to do? Back to Walmart sporting goods section for them too!

I shake my head at some of these laws in California, but as said above, it's a matter of time before it spreads to other states.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would bet my next hunt that backroom discussion in the legislative committees during the process of the lead ban included consideration that making it harder and more expensive to buy ammunition will be just one more way to circumvent the Second Amendment.

Just sayin................

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
God nab it now what in the heck are the gang bangers going to do?

Yea going to be a big ammo shortage once they all read the regs then switch over....

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Not that I want to, but I have been getting ready for this, since the law was signed. I have a few deer rifles so I have been reloading Barnes TSX bullets for one of them in the .308 variety. I have come up with a very accurate load that will become my Ca. bullet and as far as cost, I'm saving money loading my own in stead of buying factory.

My .270 and 30.06 will be for out of state lead hunting of big game.

The other small caliber bullets (.17 or .22) are not going to be readily available for some time and unfortunately I don't have an answer at this time for that.

I'm 20 years from leaving this state with my career and family obligations and I probably will leave some day, but for now, I will use my reloading equipment as much as possible to minimize problems with availability and cost.
California DFG has supposedly compiled an "all inclusive" list of manufacturers of no lead components and ammunition. My confidence is so high in the completeness of that accomplishment that I have at least one box of factory no lead ammunition for my CA hunt guns, in case the DFG later decides that it too difficult to determine the manufacturer of the components. Funny thing, did you know that those factory ammo boxes are refillable? :confused:

laxwyo

Very Active Member
Let me start by saying that I still use lead bullets and fishing weights. That being said, the lead ban is coming for everyone. Might as well, get prepared.

I'm on the other side of the fence than most people and might be called a traitor, but the banning of lead in every aspect has produced nothing but positive results for wildlife and humans. Was there anything better than banning lead for waterfowl hunting? Removal of lead from paint?

I know most of you think this is a big plot to kill hunting but I disagree. Did it kill waterfowl hunting? No. I think people are rightly scared whenever any aspect of our hunting heritage is changed.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'm on the other side of the fence than most people and might be called a traitor, but the banning of lead in every aspect has produced nothing but positive results for wildlife and humans. Was there anything better than banning lead for waterfowl hunting? Removal of lead from paint?

I know most of you think this is a big plot to kill hunting but I disagree. Did it kill waterfowl hunting?
I agree with some of what you say...BUT in California it is not just hunting. There is a concerted effort by the state legislators to advance their gun control agenda. Because of 2nd Amendment court losses, they are after ammunition and the lead ban is one of the results. Keeping the Condors from feeding on gut piles left by hunters was really a poor excuse to get this started. They were more than willing to jump on the Feds bandwagon to "protect" the Condors. In my opinion this is only the tip of the iceberg in California. Banning ALL lead in ALL ammunition is next. It is just a matter of time.

Lead in fishing sinkers and lures....give me a break. No proof exists that anyone has been harmed by it. For 65 years I have used my teeth to crimp split on my line....I'm still here, but my dentist cringes!