Nikon prostaff 7 binos

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I'm seriously considering getting a new pair of binos this year and the Nikon prostaff 7 seem like great quality optics for only $150! They aren't going to beat the swaros by any extent but are they a good buy for the money? Anybody tried these? Pros and Cons?

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I think those are the ones I have and they are beast! If you have any problems they will take them no questions asked and fix them as long as they are registered. Awesome!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Anything bitteroot says when it comes to optics should be taken to heart. If i were you id wait till next year and throw down 300 or the next year and throw down 450. When you spend serious time behind the lenses you never regret spending the extra money. I still think of all the details and animals i passed right by due to bad glass. Ill skimp on boots. Packs. Even clothing. But ill do whatever it takes to get good glass.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I haven't seen them. However, I have seen the Zen Ray ZRS HD, and they offer a lot of performance in that price range.
Thanks Bitteroot Bulls! I haven't heard much about ZEN RAY optics but I will definately research and check them out. I read your review on the optics talk forum and they seem like a great glass for the price. They also seem more compact than the prostaff 7.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I personally bought my dad a ZRS HD. He doesn't go anywhere without them. When I ask him about them he says they are "Nice, really nice."

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I just picked up the Nikon Prostaff 7s in the 10 x42 and the seem to have good glass and bright in low light. Hard to beat for the money! Only have had for a week now. Great reviews on these.

Tried various binocs at Sportmans WH and compared Nikon ATBs with these and then Vortex Razors. These were almost as clear as the Vortexs when viewing their poster across the store. The store rep was impressed with the Prostaff 7s for their value.

Last edited:

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I have them and they are awesome! Great for the money but I don't think they are better than the expensive brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I just came across this article on the best 2012 binoculars. I don't really agree with them all but here are some options.http://www.bowhunter.com/recon-made-easy-top-binoculars-for-2012.html?pid=160#image
With that article, I don't know what to agree or disagree with, BKC. That article is exactly the kind of article that has turned me away from the big magazines. The author talks about how important optics are and then cut-and-pastes some pics, ad copy, and specifications for 13 models. That tells us precisely nothing about the performance. Oh, so they are all multicoated and have BAK-4 prisms? Great, that helps a lot ... I will go for the cheapest one.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
BKC,

What I was getting at is that the article doesn't tell us anything except that these binoculars are available, and what they cost. I much prefer a good comparison review, but you just don't see those in mainstream hunting mags anymore.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I spent the weekend with my folks at the lake. Dad had his ZRS HDs and I spent quite a bit of time behind them ... again. They have a very flat field and wide sweet spot. I was able to resolve tiny details in a kingfisher diving about 80 yards away under overcast skies.

I think this binocular is the one to beat in the OP's price range.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
BKC,

What I was getting at is that the article doesn't tell us anything except that these binoculars are available, and what they cost. I much prefer a good comparison review, but you just don't see those in mainstream hunting mags anymore.
BB, I just figured out why this article exists. I have just deleted about the third Cabelas add trying to sell me their euro HD bino's. Once you click on it, they got you!