Newfoundland Moose in 2019

Finally, I'll be heading to Newfoundland in pursuit of Moose in 2019. The only issue I'm dealing with is finalizing which outfitter I'm going to book with. I've searched multiple forums for information on the outfitters that I'm considering. But, can't find much. I've spoke with and e-mailed back and forth with Steel Mountain Lodge, 2G Outfitters, and Caribou Pond Outfitters. I believe that I'm asking all the right questions before I put down my deposit. My question is, has anybody here used any of these outfitters? If so, could you share your experience? Thank you.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Sorry I have no input specific to the outfitters you've mentioned, BUT I question why they are not already booked for 2019 in December 2018...
My hunts are DIY, but I am trying to get in with an outfitter in Alaska. They are good and the weight is long...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I can't help you with any outfitters up there but I am going to send you a PM with a link to another forum where they talked about a moose hunt up in Newfoundland.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Make sure what they offer for the hunt.
I did a lodge hunt and not a fly in when I was there. It was implied the odds were the same. Not true. I got one but was competing with every local from the gander area.
When factoring cost it's not easy to get the meat back. I paid 700 for 200 pounds and my antlers. And had to drive to Minnesota to get them as that is as close as the freight they used would take them.
I'm in western colorado btw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Other areas of consideration, Alberta, Ontario, and BC. Any recommendations? What I'm looking for: fly-in or pack-in and an outfitter budget of $6500 plus travel expenses. Preferably a 1 on 1 hunter and guide. But, DIY is NOT out of the question.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Newfoundland is your highest percentage hunt on your budget. I have researched extensively and even had a hunt in Alberta planned but ended up not pulling the trigger. The higher percentage hunts in Alberta are farm style hunts. I would love to shoot another moose but I really don't want it to be from a pickup in someones crop field.

Newfoundland is your highest percentage hunt on your budget. I have researched extensively and even had a hunt in Alberta planned but ended up not pulling the trigger. The higher percentage hunts in Alberta are farm style hunts. I would love to shoot another moose but I really don't want it to be from a pickup in someones crop field.
Thanks for the feedback. That's definitely not my style. If I dont figure it out soon, I'll just keep saving and wait for that trip that bucket list trip to AK. I've thought of a DIY in Alaska and the more I think about it, it's probably more in-reach than I think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As for a DIY moose hunt north of the border you will need to do some research.

British Colombia and Alberta require you to hire a outfitter or have a relative that is willing to take you out.

Ontario is a little different in that you need to purchase the moose tag through a outfitter or a tourist establishment.

This is what it was a few years ago when I was looking into a DIY hunt in British Colombia. I did do a grizzly hunt in BC with a outfitter that took horses back into the wilderness. We did see quite a few moose but his fees are around $6500 for a 9 day moose hunt and you need to figure that if you take the horses back in that 2 of those days were all riding where you might or might not see a moose.

When I was looking at it I was also planning on driving up there. I wanted to bring home all of the meat and antlers without having to pay shipping or wondering how much weight I could bring home. I did drive up on my grizzly hunt but I have relatives that live in Utah so I stopped there on the way up and the way back. It was a 11 hour drive up to the location that I was grizzly hunting a hundred or so miles across the Canadian border with Montana.

Dr.Swat

Feb 24, 2013
From what I have been told, moose numbers are declining rapidly in Newfoundland. The glory years "up there" were 15 or so years ago. That is what I've been told by an experienced booking agent.