New trail cams and drones

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I hope Wyoming moves to outlaw the new cellular trail cams and using drones in any fashion.

The instantaneous nature of cellular trail cams doesn't seem to fit with a fair chase mantra. Oh look, the big buck is at cam #4. I'll brb.

Drones seems like a no brainier with the current aircraft regs

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Our law enforcement fly drones down here looking for meth labs & marijuana patches. I think that is a good thing, but for private ownership to scout with is not. I'm old school I guess!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
These guys that come by work sometimes take pics with a drone and all I can say is they have no idea how lucky their drone was that I was not armed when it went over a few times!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
In Nv Drones are not allowed during any open season. They can be used for scouting pre season. As far as the cell cams I haven't heard anything about them not being allowed.

Just seems to me that folks are getting lazy. Pretty much anything is allowed on high fenced ranches and so be it. But public land I doubt any of us would not have our cross hairs on a drone flying over our hunting area.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Can one be banned from this forum for owning a drone? Just want to be upfront and come clean. My wife bought me one for my birthday. It literally came yesterday. Don't even know anything about them or how to operate. Guess I better learn if I'm gonna be dodging buck shot and such. ;)

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Drones and cell cams are just the next evolution of trail cameras. Moon phase, date, temp, GPS location, infrared, no flash night shots. No one learns to really read sign anymore. If you are fair chase, learn to hunt. If you just wanna have big animal heads and pics to brag about, do whatever.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Can one be banned from this forum for owning a drone? Just want to be upfront and come clean. My wife bought me one for my birthday. It literally came yesterday. Don't even know anything about them or how to operate. Guess I better learn if I'm gonna be dodging buck shot and such. ;)
Stay a couple hundred yards up you should be clear!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
I agree. It's a new era, great great great grandpa would argue that anything besides barefeet a rock and a loin cloth would be considered "lazy" I'm sure there will be policies in each state eventually that ensure guidelines on such technology. I'm all for trail cameras. Especially when my hunting grounds are hours and hours from my doorstep. Life gets busy with kids and work and it's nice to know there are critters in the area you intend to hunt with your sacred days off. The cell cameras are a bit much for me. But if I was one of them foodplot, private land kinda fellas I could probably justify it.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Only if you cross the Mississippi with it!
Good point! I'm sure drones could help out west but down here in the south the woods are too thick to scout using a drone. Now if I could fly mine from here out west to scout so I didn't have to drive out, now that could be helpful and cost effective.

Don't worry guys mine will be used for cool fishing videos not for scouting. If I can figure it out.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
If you don't get it figured out, you may want to attach a buoy to it.

Our deer would just think the Mosquitos were flying high if they heard one come over.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I would put this under the same category of not being able to hunt the same day as you fly in, like Alaska and other places do. Only difference is the physical person not being in it. Like others have said, it is just being lazy and unethical in my mind.