New to Western Big Game hunting

dsimon

Feb 19, 2014
Hi, I'm a whitetail/turkey fanatic that is starting to expand my taste. I have always dreamed of calling in a big bugling bull and I have decided that its time to start learning and hunting. I am going to chase them mainly with a muzzleloader and possibly a bow but I can't wait to hear my first bugle!

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Welcome!!! Bugling bulls are awesome. Bugling bulls in the snow and in the clouds makes your jaw drop in awe.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Welcome! It is definitely an experience to be in the woods when they are bugling! Nothing beats it!

Sent from my iPhone

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to EF, There is nothing like a bull screaming right next to you! Good luck and take lots of pics!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

If you love to hunt with a muzzleloader, your best opportunities are probably Colorado and New Mexico. Both states have numbers muzzleloader opportunities.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Welcome aboard,

I grew up in Western NC, never saw an elk until I ended up stationed in WA.
Shot a lot of whitetail but I didn't know what I had gotten in to.
Hooked up with a bunch of bow hunters and stumbled around aimlessly for the first few bow seasons.
I will never forget how the hair on the back of my neck stood on end the first time I had a bull bugle near me.
And how my first close encounter with a bull had me shaking so bad I could barely draw.
The arrow was banging against the bows riser so bad I just gave up.......... that was about 8 bow kills 12 total elk ago.
Still looking for a big one.....

Again welcome aboard

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Welcome, calling in bulls is as good as it gets! I'm like Oregon Jim, the first few I called in I was shaking so bad I dont think I could have hit a barn. Things have calmed for me since, but it's still very intense!

Last edited: