new to backpack hunting

chasingbulls

Jun 29, 2014
Hey Fellas im new to Coyoting out, and im just now starting to build up my lightweight gear to try a backpack hunt next year...i have a few maybe dumb questions hopefully some of you pros to this way of hunting could answer for me...as far as h20 goes, i will be hunting in northern AZ where the only water available to drink will be the infested dirty water holes (no clear streams you find in Alaska) that im guessing even the purify water tabs couldnt cut through, and i dont want to take gallons and gallons of water (enough to last 3-5 days) strictly because of the weight. what options or suggestions do you guys have... All are appreciated

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have read about but have not tried the following technique. They say you can filter cloudy/dirty water with a coffee filter first before using one of the other commercial backpacking filter systems. Doing this is supposed to remove a good majority of the sediment that will clog the normal filtration systems. This is really your only option short of constructing a rain water catch and hoping the weather cooperates... If you can find the large industrial filters and collapsible strainers used when you make beer at home it may be easier. I would also bring a small collapsible bucket that fit the strainer. May take a bit of practice but I bet it can be done...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Get a Katadyn Vario, it has an adjustable filter that will allow you filter the nastiest of nasty water. I filtered straight out of a nasty elk wallow a couple years ago and it did just fine.....

jasent

Jun 18, 2014
Deer Park, WA
I use a Katadyn pro hiker. I have pulled water from some dirty holes and it comes out clear and clean. If the water is murky I use the coffee filter trick and pump slow. Its pretty light as well. I wrap the pre-filter with the coffee filter and use a rubber band to hold it on tight

Last edited:

chasingbulls

Jun 29, 2014
thanks for the help! has anyone ever used the MSR sweetwater microfilter? im just trying to find the best filter system i can because getting sick out there ruins all the hard work and your hunt so i dont want to skimp on a filter system

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
No problem, the Variable settings will make that filter shine for your application

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have been using different Katadyn's for many years and have never had any problems drinking water filtered from any source. Great products.

predator_master223

Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I'm running the MSR Sweetwater and it's a great piece of kit. That being said, it will clog up if you don't keep the intake out of the mud and moss. If you keep it right below the surface of the water it does good. The coffee filter trick would help some.

RockyMtnGuy

Jul 27, 2015
I really like my Katadyn gravity filter. It weighs less than a pound and you don't have to pump it. I've sure you could use the coffee filter method with it to increase its lifetime. You could also carry a spare filter.