New Tennessee Member

Public Land Rat

May 26, 2020
Good Afternoon to the Eastman Family. I live in Tennessee and have hunted all my life. For several years now I have wanted to do a DIY public land hunt in the western hi-country and I believe I've decided to try Idaho next fall.... I am not getting any younger (one year from 40) and I can definitely tell a difference in my endurance from 5-10 year ago. So I would like to do this trip while I am young and stubborn enough to do it. For years I've been saying I'm going, but family and bills come first. I hunt almost every public land within an hour of me here in Tennessee. We have forums here in Tennessee that I am a member of and we get asked the question "where to hunt" all the time, so as I ask this question I am not asking for a honey hole or a spot that has taken many ling hard trips to find. My questions are, What area would be the best to spend my trip in? What time would be the best for a non-resident to come to Idaho and get an OTC tag and hunt deer or elk or bear with a rifle, late sept-late october? I am planning on flying in to Boise, renting a SUV then driving to an area and camping in the field. I am also going to contact a game and fish officer to get started and make sure I know all the regulations the best i can. Any advise, help or direction would be really appreciated. I would be willing to offer any information on my area if anyone is interested in hunting anything in my area. I would even be willing to trade me "guiding" someone on an eastern turkey hunt spring of 2021 for their experience and knowledge of the area I'm going. Thank you guys for any info or help. PM's welcomed

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. I’ve not hunted ID but others here have. Someone will be along shortly.
stay active in this forum and build relationships as that goes a long way to building trust and getting good intel.

Public Land Rat

May 26, 2020
Thank you, same for the forums I'm involved in. I would like to offer someone a guided turkey hunt here in Tennessee for them helping me in Idaho. I would be helping them in the spring, before I come to Idaho, to prove I'm serious. I'm hoping for a PM or 2. Thank you for welcoming me.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Buckbob

Jan 22, 2018
Michigan
Welcome, my only western experience is Colorado elk but if you're ever in the market for info on that let me know id gladly trade i for for a turkey hunt. We went 1 for 2 on an OTC tag but had 3 opportunities in total. Here's the elk my partner got. Good luck! FB_IMG_1590730630574.jpg