New Puppy Gun

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Alright I am planning on buying a gun to kill some puppies. I would like to get a caliber that would be big enough for my wife to shoot deer and antelope. Does anyone recommend a caliber that wont be tough on the puppy hides but be stout enough to knock down a deer or antelope. I was leaning towards a .223 or 22-250 but a lot people have been telling me to not shoot deer with them. However Back in GA we used to shoot deer with a .22 mag. She is obviously not as good of a shot as I am some so the more wiggle room I get the better off she is.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Seems to me a good compromise would be the 243. 223 would work too. In my experience, the type of bullet used and shot placement has more effect on coyotes than caliber.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have shot several deer (and missed a couple too) with center fire .22s. They will do the job with good bullet placement. The problem I've found is they are very wind sensitive after 150 yards or so when the bullet starts to slow down. I am pretty much a .243 or larger guy when it comes to deer. The ones I missed were because of wind drift and trying to shoot them in the head or neck.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
.243 with good bullets is great for deer and coyotes. I don't like anything smaller than the .243 for big game personally. 25-06 isn't a bad choice either. One of the guys I call with here in the York NE area uses one exclusively. He shoots 30+ every year. The key is to use bullets that are controlled expansion so they don't blow a fist size hole on the exit side.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I've always just used my 25-06 for coyotes, they are good practice. I never have been too awful concerned about the pelts though.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
My son has used a 223 on moderate sized to small deer and antelope with great success, when starting out. Once he grew a bit, he moved on to a larger caliber. Heart/lung shots with a bullet designed for deer is what we have done. We've had good results with the Federal Fusion bonded 62 gr. factory load. Several bang flops, but nothing much over 225 yards, most much less. Largest animal maybe 200lbs, most under 160 lb ish. Will probably start the grandkids with a 223 too, until they grow a bit (can start them at 9 in OR), then move them to a 243, 250 Sav., or 257 Roberts.

I do have some friends in MT that hunt large mulies with the 220 Swift, out to 400 yards +, and have for decades. They shoot coyotes with the same gun too, they are great shots, shoot all year, and are very picky about when they shoot, not my cup of tea, but works for very well for them.

That said, something in .24 or .25 caliber is a much better choice IMO for a spouse, as a combo rifle, especially if seeking a larger mature deer and shooting much past 200. I shoot coyotes with what ever is at hand, like TS, not much concerned about the pelts, so am no help there.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
My son has used a 223 on moderate sized to small deer and antelope with great success, when starting out. Once he grew a bit, he moved on to a larger caliber. Heart/lung shots with a bullet designed for deer is what we have done. We've had good results with the Federal Fusion bonded 62 gr. factory load. Several bang flops, but nothing much over 225 yards, most much less. Largest animal maybe 200lbs, most under 160 lb ish. Will probably start the grandkids with a 223 too, until they grow a bit (can start them at 9 in OR), then move them to a 243, 250 Sav., or 257 Roberts.

I do have some friends in MT that hunt large mulies with the 220 Swift, out to 400 yards +, and have for decades. They shoot coyotes with the same gun too, they are great shots, shoot all year, and are very picky about when they shoot, not my cup of tea, but works for very well for them.

That said, something in .24 or .25 caliber is a much better choice IMO for a spouse, as a combo rifle, especially if seeking a larger mature deer and shooting much past 200. I shoot coyotes with what ever is at hand, like TS, not much concerned about the pelts, so am no help there.
Yea I typically shoot them with what ever I am hunting with. Typically a 7wsm. However, I would like to start killing some and selling the pelts. I appreciate the opinions and think I am leaning towards a .243. I found a couple loads that shoot a 53 grain bullet that would hopefully not blow a giant hole in them

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
.243 offer a great range of bullet sizes from yotes to elk. I too am starting to do the pelt thing. almost had a fox this morn! he poked his head around a tree while I was setting a trap. ha

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
For one gun, one load, I'd go with a 243 with a controlled expansion bullet and just be ok with a moderate exit wound. Since this gun will be used on deer and antelope too, it pays to have a little more bullet. I personally care way more about losing a deer to an explosive bullet than harming a pelt on a coyote that's value is currently limited anyway. If coyotes become worth enough to justify using a small gun that's different (and may justify another gun). I currently call a lot with an AR in 204 with a custom upper designed to use the heavier 45gr Hornady SP bullets. These bullets make the 204 very effective, but I've had splash hits if I hit a shoulder or other bone with the 40gr V max. The 40gr V max dumps coyotes if I slip one between the ribs but gives me less margin for error. My primary reason for using the 204 calling is that if I get a bobcat to come in I won't ruin it. A 75gr V max from a 243 will stomp a coyote from any angle, but will also wreck a cat.

If you chose a smaller rifle on the predator hunting forums I read a lot of shooters using a 22 caliber or smaller gun for coyotes prefer a soft point to a polymer point bullet. The Sierra Gameking 55gr bullet has a lot of fans. I'd personally not feel concerned about taking a well rested, unhurried, broadside shot on a deer or antelope inside 300yds under good conditions with a bullet like this. I shoot a lot and am confident in my shot placement. If I chose a gun of this size, I'd accept the limitation of only taking broadside shots where I could miss major bone and have heart/lung hits.

Since you are talking about a shooter where shot placement might be questionable, and you are in Wyoming where I know ranges and winds can make shooting challenging, I'd step up in gun. A 243 can be loaded with a light bullet for your use and she could use a heavier one. To simplify things a 90gr Accubond, 85gr Sierra HPBT Gameking, 85gr Partition, 80gr TSX, 90gr Scirocco, 85gr Speer, lots of bullets can be used dual purpose. They will expand rapidly and drop a coyote but are still very effective big game bullets. A 243 only has so much power so shot angles should be reasonable, but they are a big game bullet that will hit bone and continue into the vitals.

The 25-06 is another good one, better for big game but harder on pelts.

It really depends what you are looking for. There are good dual purpose cartridges but none that are perfect for both with the same bullet. In the part of KS where I live a lot of people end up with a 243 or 25-06 if they want to have one rifle. 22 caliber centerfires were only recently legalized for deer so that influenced their decisions. The people who don't care about pelts often have a 25-06 and use 100gr bullets for everything. The ones who do care about pelts often end up with a 243 and might switch between 70-80gr varmint bullets for coyotes and 100gr bullets for deer season. The majority of the semi-serious hunters with 2 rifles I know have a 223 or 22-250 for coyotes and a 270 for deer. Just shows there is no perfect one gun for everything.

Last edited:

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I went with a .243. Bought a cheap Ruger American. I have to say it is a pretty good shooting gun. Shooting 1/2 or less at 100 yards pushing 53 grain vmax. Now all I need to do is call up come puppies