New Mexico assistance needed!

KNPV PSD

Oct 4, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Well my annual freezer cow elk hunt in Utah just fell apart. I have only been hunting for three years and this year will be my first without a mentor...On top of that I am bringing a first time hunter. No pressure!

I've found some landowner tags in NM but they are unguided and so I need to plan from scratch. The tags I am getting are Unit wide so we have access to public as well as private ranches that are in the E-PLUS program.

We are going to hunt Unit 53 second week of November. My guess is the cows will have moved down at that time and should be herded up pretty well. Will they be down feasting on private at that point or will I be better off staying up in the public?

How about optics? I don't plan to bring a spotter since I am only looking for cows, but can choose between 10x Vortex Vipers or 15x Kaibabs or maybe both. Will the glassing be open enough for the 15s to be useful? Or is it thick and heavy in this unit?

Anyone have ideas on where to camp? Any pointers at all would help. Just need a head start on where the cows will be. Most everything I find by searching relates to bulls and their behavior in the post rut.

Thanks for any help. PM's are welcome or post here.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Find elevation, regardless of public or private and you will find the elk. Walking with your eyes is way easier than walking with your feet and when you see them at a bit of distance it's easier to intercept. You have to hunt elk based on where they are going not where you last saw them. This applies even when they are feeding, elk are wanderers...