New kuiu icon pro pack

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
Anybody see the video of this new Icon Pro pack?
Looks like some significant improvements: stonger frame, 500D Cordura, better zipper pulls, and new belt design.
what are your thoughts?

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
It looks pretty sweet. I think I am going to go for an Ultra Pack but Kuiu keeps pumping out great stuff they've got a good thing goin on, I love all my Kuiu stuff

BowHunterJake

Jun 9, 2014
Yeah, I saw it. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Icon 7200 to replace my Cabela's pack. Glad I waited for the Icon Pro 7200. I was pleasantly surprised at the price.

Icon Pro 7200 & Pro 1850 on the way.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I just ordered the Icon Pro 1850 bag for my ultra 6000 frame. The Ultra 6000 was the most comfortable backpack I ever owned. They say the new suspension is even more comfortable and thicker padding! Can't wait to try it.

vince

Banned
Jul 10, 2012
I would've held off buying my Icon 5200 pack of I knew this one was coming out.
Oh well, I still think I got a good deal on the standard Icon compared to the normal price.

Springville

Feb 27, 2014
utah
We have used the pack on several early sheep scouting trips.
We were able to get one pretty early so we could check it out and do a review.
In short, we really like it, it is their best pack so far, at least I think so.
We have it posted on ireviewgear.com if you want to go read about it.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I ordered the 5200 Icon Pro in Verde camo. Looks like they addressed every aspect that needed addressing on the Icon. Can't wait to get it in and try it out.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I was actually surprised of the cost on these. Thought maybe they would cost a arm, leg and a ...... But looks like only a hand

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Just depends on what your entesions are. I have the Ultra 6000 that is great for a week long back packing trip into the wilderness. But, I beleive the Ultra 6000 is too big for a day pack, so I recently purchased the Icon Pro 1850 bag. The bag fits right on the same frame of my Ultra 6000. Due to the load sling I'll still be able to pack out a whole boned out deer and antlers with the day pack if I'm successful in the back country. Thats what I love about this pack! If your looking for a day pack than the 1850 is the way to go. If your looking for a roomy day pack and possibly an overnight bag then go with the bigger 3000 bag.

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Thanks for the response bigshot, I'm really leaning towards the 1850. That being said do you think it is suitable to haul elk quarters with?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Last edited:

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Todd- Do you think the suspension is better on the Pro then on the older Icon?

is it possible to purchase just the pro frame and suspension and attach an older bag to that frame?

TrapperTrent

Jul 19, 2014
Corsicana, TX
Great pics BigSurArcher. Do you use the 5200 for all your hunts? Or do you use the 1850 for your day hunts? and is the 5200 a good all around pack? is it too big for day hunts or too small for 4-5 day hunts? Just trying to decide which of the three i need or if i need to get two of them, and get the 1850 and the 5200. (sorry one more question) Have you ever considered hauling everything in your 5200 to camp and bring an empty 1850 with you, and get your camp set up and then take your 1850 and pack it with the essentials you will need for the day rather than putting the few items you will need for the day in the big size of the 5200? Just trying to decide on what i need to pull the trigger on before i buy it, thanks guys!

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Great pics BigSurArcher. Do you use the 5200 for all your hunts? Or do you use the 1850 for your day hunts? and is the 5200 a good all around pack? is it too big for day hunts or too small for 4-5 day hunts? Just trying to decide which of the three i need or if i need to get two of them, and get the 1850 and the 5200. (sorry one more question) Have you ever considered hauling everything in your 5200 to camp and bring an empty 1850 with you, and get your camp set up and then take your 1850 and pack it with the essentials you will need for the day rather than putting the few items you will need for the day in the big size of the 5200? Just trying to decide on what i need to pull the trigger on before i buy it, thanks guys!
TrapperTrent,

The 5200 in the photos was an earlier sample I tested out, I've never actually hunted with the 5200. I personally prefer the 7200, which is what I used all of last year- and will use again this year (the Pro version) for Alaska and other extended trips. I would not take a 7200 and an 1850 at the same time. Too much extra weight, bulk, and hassle. The 7200 compresses down just fine with the lid off for day hunts out of spike camp. Or, you could take along an Ultra 1800 bag which weighs under 9oz and rolls up smaller than a T-shirt.

As far as a daypack goes, for me the Ultra 3000 bag is absolutely perfect. Extremely light, lots of room, hydration friendly, compresses to nothing, full sized spotting scope pocket, carries a tripod well... and it will fit an entire quartered Blacktail with ease. I used the 1850 quite a bit last year and personally it's just too small for my needs. On the other hand lots of users say it's the perfect daypack size... just personal preference as with most things. By the end of last year I was using a trimmed and compressed 7200 as my daypack which I liked.

To address your specific questions on the 5200, it will work fine for 4-5 day hunts- although I think 3-4 days is its sweet spot. You should assess the rest of your gear and the average time of year you make your extended trips. Be realistic with the space you'll need. The difference between usually hunting September vs usually hunting late October or later could be the difference in which size pack to buy. Same can be said for the type of gear you own- bulkier shelters, sleeping bags, pads, outerwear, and/or optics really eat up pack space. The last thing you want to do is go in with a maxed out pack, kill something a few miles in, and not have room to carry it out when physically you could have. I've been there, done that when I used to hunt with a Bivy 4500. Just remember, the 7200 only costs you about 3 more ounces of bag weight over the 5200. On the flip side, I've talked to plenty of people who tend to overpack just because they have the room going in- something to keep in mind as well.

Anyway... I hope this helps you make your decision. Take care.

Last edited:

Huntinguy0120

May 29, 2012
Northern CA
Like most things, it all comes down to how you plan to use it. I have two of these same size packs (not Kuiu unfortunately) but maybe my size experience can help.

My 1850 is perfect for the all day trip with enough of the basic protective equipment (fire starter, emergency blanket, water, flashlight, socks and a few candy bars) in case I got stuck out over night. With out modification, I have easily fit both tenderloins and a backstrap with all that in the bag to make it back out to the pack frame comfortably. I like the size, so I don't overpack, but wouldnt plan staying out overnight with just that size.

This is where the 3000 came in. For a barely noticeable weight difference, I gained an extra 1200 cubic inches to fill with.. tents, stove, food, sleeping back. All the essentials for one or two nights out. I feel like once I zipped the bag up, no way would I be able to fit much of anything else in to bring back out with me. Other members of my family use packs in the 4500 cubic inch range, and for the slight increase in weight over the 3000, can fit practically anything and everything they can carry. The 3000 is good as a planned day pack to bring out a good load or cape and horns, but I catch myself packing the extra's that I never really use. My next pack will be in the 4200ci range. Hope this helps.

Springville

Feb 27, 2014
utah
I have always felt you should go with at least 1 size bigger pack than you think you will need.
If I only do day hunts, I could get by with an 1850, but enjoy the flexability that a 3000+ gives me.
If I plan to pack in for a few days, a 5200 would do, but I prefer to go with a 6500 or larger.
Get the bigger pack, and you will not regret it.
I use my KUIU, or my Kifaru 7000+ back on most of my hunts, including day type stuff. If I hammer an animal, I can get the loose meat out inside easy.
Good luck, they are great packs!

Like most things, it all comes down to how you plan to use it. I have two of these same size packs (not Kuiu unfortunately) but maybe my size experience can help.

My 1850 is perfect for the all day trip with enough of the basic protective equipment (fire starter, emergency blanket, water, flashlight, socks and a few candy bars) in case I got stuck out over night. With out modification, I have easily fit both tenderloins and a backstrap with all that in the bag to make it back out to the pack frame comfortably. I like the size, so I don't overpack, but wouldnt plan staying out overnight with just that size.

This is where the 3000 came in. For a barely noticeable weight difference, I gained an extra 1200 cubic inches to fill with.. tents, stove, food, sleeping back. All the essentials for one or two nights out. I feel like once I zipped the bag up, no way would I be able to fit much of anything else in to bring back out with me. Other members of my family use packs in the 4500 cubic inch range, and for the slight increase in weight over the 3000, can fit practically anything and everything they can carry. The 3000 is good as a planned day pack to bring out a good load or cape and horns, but I catch myself packing the extra's that I never really use. My next pack will be in the 4200ci range. Hope this helps.