New Electric Endurance Beta Truck

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd still have to pack a portable generator in the back to recharge it.

That's the problem with electric vehicles. With a gas or diesel engine you drive it until the tank needs to be filled, stop and refill it in a 10 minute stop and you are on your way again. A electric vehicle you drive it until it needs a recharge, you then plug it into a charging station and wait for what 8 hours or so to get a full charge? Then you are on your way again.

A 500 mile trip will take you a day and a half instead of 8 hours.

Reactions: cacklercrazy

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I love electric vehicles. I hate electric trucks. 95% of the time I'm in my truck I'm towing something. There aren't enough charging stations in the world to keep me juiced hauling 10000lbs of trailer through the mountains.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Although I do see some humor in calling the model "Endurance" when it barely gets half the range of a Tesla :)

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
electric taking place of gas will be shocking!

you would think it wouldn't be to hard to find a way to make the vehicle self charging as it motored down the highway.libs claim wind power is the next great thing ,so put a windmill on the roof of every car.lol.

that is if someone really wanted to create such a thang.

it's not that it can't be done . it's simply that benjamins drive innovation. why create what steals from profits????????

same reason we have no cars that run on water .

Last edited:

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I’ll keep with my Dino fueled rigs when I’m miles from civilization. They seem to have problems at times as is. Would hate to be limited on range and no way to jimmy-rig something to get out.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I think I'll go the electric route for a commuter car and get a gasser 3/4 ton eventually. Prices need to come down on the electric side. GM Ultium batteries look really promising in regards to mileage per charge. So good in fact that Honda is going to buy the chassis and batteries from GM for their EVs

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
^^^

After my entire family has went through the diesel 3/4 Ton route (Ford, Chevy, Ram) I would not recommend going with a diesel. Going gas is a smart decision...OR buy a used diesel with low mileage and give it an immediate hysterectomy if you dont have emissions where you live.

If I get another 3/4 ton truck after my truck has a half million, it will be a gas burner 3/4 ton and I will get a smaller Tacoma truck for running around to keep the miles off of the big dog and only use it for pulling the tractor and skid steer.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
^^^

After my entire family has went through the diesel 3/4 Ton route (Ford, Chevy, Ram) I would not recommend going with a diesel. Going gas is a smart decision...OR buy a used diesel with low mileage and give it an immediate hysterectomy if you dont have emissions where you live.

If I get another 3/4 ton truck after my truck has a half million, it will be a gas burner 3/4 ton and I will get a smaller Tacoma truck for running around to keep the miles off of the big dog and only use it for pulling the tractor and skid steer.
I respectfully disagree. It does depend on how you are using the vehicle. I have not owned a gas pickup truck since 1983, all diesels since then. I don't believe a gas rig could compare with what I put a truck through. My last Powerstroke had 300,000 miles on it when I traded it off for a newer one. The engine and tranny had never been apart. The one I own now (a 2014) I bought used with 20,000 mils on it. I am sure it will outlive me.

Reactions: idcwby and JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I also agree on the diesel.

Mine is 25 years old this year and still going strong. All I have replaced on it so far have been batteries, and a water pump along with regular maintenance. Diesels like any vehicle need to be taken care of and if you don't want to change the oil, fuel filters, and other things then you might as well just get a beater every couple of years.

You'll never find a gas engine that will be able to do what the diesel does without sacrificing something else in the long run.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Maybe a good topic for a new thread is " what will be replaced first, Gas or Diesel" If the libs want to convert to green energy, what do you want to sacrifice first. Think of all that you use in life and what would affect us more?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Comparing the diesels of yesterday (The trusty 7.3) to the diesels of today is not a realistic comparison. lol

4 reasons I would not advise a newer diesel:
-DPF
-DEF
-EGR
-SCR

Reactions: BKC

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Actually the only reason I got rid of my 1999 SuperDuty Powerstroke was we were planning an extended rv trip to Alaska and I wanted something with less miles on it. It actually got better mileage than my current 6.7.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The newer engines will go just as far and with very few problems if you address the problems that come up.

I know of two auto haulers who have over 300K on their 6.7 engines from Ford. When the problems come up they take care of them instead of thinking that they can get around it.

A diesel engine is really not that much different than a gas one when it comes to having to fix things as they come up. Both will leave you stranded if you ignore the flashing yellow lights.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Maybe a good topic for a new thread is " what will be replaced first, Gas or Diesel" If the libs want to convert to green energy, what do you want to sacrifice first. Think of all that you use in life and what would affect us more?
Oregon is already trying to determine this for us by banning diesel and making everything go to bio-diesel.