2 reduce the number of choices from 5 to 3
3 no more than 50% of the tags in any unit can be awarded to max point holders

Anybody have more info about this

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
1 - 25% of the tags going to max point holders makes draw odds even worse for everyone (except max point holders, obviously), and makes 25% of the available tags impossible to draw for everyone but max holders. We need to be moving away from awarding tags to people lucky enough to be age eligible to get in on the bottom floor of a states point system, not adding tags to that list. Their draw system as it currently stands is fair for the most part - everyone has a chance at every single tag, people that have been in longer have a better chance.
2 - I support reducing the number of choices, and would actually support reducing even further, down to 2 or 1.
3 - See #1

Reactions: Alabama

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I completely agree with Fink. Setting aside tags for those that got in on the ground floor is insane. That means for sheep, 25% of the tags would go to the people who got in the very first year and 75% will be available to those who got in the last 24 or so years since the point system was started. Max point holders already have a disproportionate advantage in Nevada's squared system.

I too support reducing the number of choice down to 1 or 2.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
1 25 %of the tags go to max point holders
2 reduce the number of choices from 5 to 3
3 no more than 50% of the tags in any unit can be awarded to max point holders
Any body have more info about this
Where did you see this? I haven't heard of any of this. Probably just wishful thinking from sore loosers in the drawings. :rolleyes:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The problem is that this is very short sighted, it would be great for the first couple of years for the top point holders. Reality sets in though and then you will be locking the top out in a few years.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Yeah that letter is from a guide in Ely NV sending his request to NDOW. It is ludicrus. It would essentially turn our state into another bonus point state instead of the current preference point system we have where even a first time applicant has a chance to draw a hard to draw tag.
He points out those who did not draw but he does not point out those that did draw even with a low number of preference point.
So it is not a proposed change it is a wish from this guide service. I hope it is not even brought up for discussion at the board meeting.
Chuck and Trevor Marques can go pound sand. :mad:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yeah that letter is from a guide in Ely NV sending his request to NDOW. It is ludicrus. It would essentially turn our state into another bonus point state instead of the current preference point system we have where even a first time applicant has a chance to draw a hard to draw tag.
He points out those who did not draw but he does not point out those that did draw even with a low number of preference point.
So it is not a proposed change it is a wish from this guide service. I hope it is not even brought up for discussion at the board meeting.
Nevada has worked very hard to find the balance of fair with a random chance and rewarding loyalty. I have talked a lot in the MRS about a strategy that allows you to shoot for the moon as well as find hunts say for deer that you can have a legitimate chance to hunt every other year.

The waiting periods for elk and trophy species are another measure the state has taken. The problem with sheep everywhere is that no matter how you slice it...there just aren't many of them!

Bwht4x4

Aug 29, 2012
Gr8bawana,

Nevada is a bonus point state and not a preference point state. Like you I hope they toss this proposal in the trash and keep Nevada the way it has been.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I think pick your weapon would be a good choice no more splitting up apps between rifle and archery. It would balance the lopsided tag allocation back out.

I feel that a lot of folks with max points or very high numbers are narrowing their choices already to 1 or 2 because of what they have invested already. I know several folks that bitch about not drawing but only apply for 2 choices with extreme draw odds

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I feel that a lot of folks with max points or very high numbers are narrowing their choices already to 1 or 2 because of what they have invested already. I know several folks that bitch about not drawing but only apply for 2 choices with extreme draw odds
I'd agree with this, but it doesn't stop guys lime me from muddying up the odds by spending my first 2-3 picks on the best units in the state, and then using my last two picks on units I'd 'settle' with.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
No issue with you doing that
What screws up everything is a bowhunter that puts in first choice rifle late season as his dream hunt because the first choice hunt is the only one considered when they look at demand and it messes up the tag allocation for archery and muzzle loader hunts

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Gr8bawana,

Nevada is a bonus point state and not a preference point state. Like you I hope they toss this proposal in the trash and keep Nevada the way it has been.
You are correct. I should have said "bonus point squared" though.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I forget if NV squares bonus points in the draw?

I kind of like this system.... because it weights them more for more points, but still gives the hunter with 1 point a chance.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I"m kind of torn on Nevada's system, not having tags set aside for high point applicants is theoretically good for me when talking about tags that I'll probably never draw like sheep and elk. On the other hand for a tag that I'll probably be able to draw someday like deer or archery antelope, it would be nice to be able to plan the year when I would hunt there, with the current system there is no way to do that.