Need a new scope due to an unfortunate fall

crumy

Jun 19, 2011
Laramie, WY
I have a Leupold VX-II but I really messed it up so I need a new scope. I really like the scope but wanting to get some opinions about some of the other scope options out there. Have a 300 win mag. Live in Wyoming.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Send it to Leupold and they will send you a new one no matter how messed up yours is. They don't even care HOW it got messed up.

I have a VX-II on my 7-08 and have been very pleased with it. Leupold has a great warranty with fast turn around time. Unfortunately when you leave your green ring binos on the top of your car and they fall off and basically explode you do not get new binos from their warranty program. :eek: They did take very good care of me in that situation though.

crumy

Jun 19, 2011
Laramie, WY
I didn't realize that about the warranty. I guess that will teach me to read the fine print better. Thanks to all. I was looking at the VX-3 but if I don't have to spend any money to get my scope back.. Well you can't beat that and consider me a Leupold customer for life.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
I don't agree with Leupold having the best warranty but they should fix it, although I have heard differently from different people.

Won't know 'til you try, so I suggest trying.

Edit: But to give you an option for another scope, I would suggest you look at Zeiss.

Last edited:

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
You gotta love Leupold! I surprised it broke! I have a VX II on a .243. I rolled my atv over the top of it and the thing was still on!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I hope the warranty works out, but it may not. Leupold charged me to fix some scratched lenses on some GR binoculars a few years ago. They were scratched after the covers came off during a belly crawl. The price to fix was reasonable, however, and they sent me a brand new pair.

If you do look at other scopes. Vortex Viper and Zeiss Conquest are excellent scopes with great warranties. I am 100% sure Vortex would replace one of their scopes damaged in the manner you describe.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
You should have no problem. I dropped my rifle off my bench, bent the scope tube, and they replaced if for free. The have done three scope warranty repairs for me over the last 20+ years and never charged me.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Call them and tell them what you have and tell them what the problem is. I have had several scopes that they took care of...no problems. My Dad had an old (pre gold ring) 6x that he fell on and broke. Sent him a new 6x for 15.00. Hard to beat them. IMHO...the best scope for the money you can buy. Sure there are better optics, but at 2, 3 or 4 times the money you pay for a Leupold.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
When are you going to hear back from them?

It's unfortunate to hear about them not fixing your scratched lens. I have a pair of gr binos with a chipped lens (very small) lens also. It is not noticeable while in use. It looks like I dropped em on a rock or something. I was wanting to get them fixed but maybe not now!

sethkuhl

May 19, 2011
Superior MT
From past experience leupold means to stand behind their warranty at least call and tell them the situation at worst they will fix it and charge you. cheaper than getting a new one.
They fixed mine and had it back in two weeks. Talked to a pawn shop and "rented" a replacement for those two weeks.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I have had great luck with Leupold myself. I had a pair of compact binos and after 8 years a lens fell out (I have no idea where or how) and they sent me a brand new pair at no charge. After 5 more years with the new pair the eye cups wore out and they didn't make that style anymore, so they gave me the choice of an equal value pair or I could upgrade for the difference in price. Great customer service.

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
I shoot a weaver grand slam. Never been a band wagon person. Put the grand slam on and first day out fell in broke up boulders. Put a mark in the paint but still dead on. Haven't had to adjust it in 6 years on my 7 mag. So the internet and get a great price