Nate Strong the Poacher

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I see that he plead "not guilty" today.
What a JOKE!! I wonder if they are now gonna try to make a "deal" in which he will plead guilty to some charge, drop another etc...type deal. I sure hope not. He needs to PAY! I think the full sentence that is being talked about would be awesome to see for a change, at least the $10k ticket and license revocation should happen! I highly doubt he will see any of that jail time. . If memory serves me right..Montana residents chirp in if im wrong...but I believe they have exact set amounts for the poaching of a "trophy" animal, and a Bighorn sheep is a $30k fine last i read it I believe. I think every state should set high standards for these types of cases so people who do them lose more than a couple thousand and a slap on the wrist!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Pleading not guilty is standard for most of these type of charges. The defendant just wants it to go to trial instead of just being sent to jail or paying a fine..

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got an underage drinking charge when I was in college and plead not guilty and went to court. When I went in front of the judge he asked why I plead not guilty and I told him I was broke and in college and I figured it would be pretty easy to send me the 500$ fine in the mail and revoke my driving license but if I showed up and told everyone I was sorry for what I had done that they might have a little mercy for me.

Judge knocked the fine down to 25$ and let me keep my license. Told me that if he saw me again I would regret it....He never saw me again either because I knew he meant it.

Man was that cop that arrested me angry....

I know this doesn't really relate but it kind of explains the reasoning for pleading not guilty in simple terms.

I hope the judge is not easy on him.......

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Clearly this was not just a "mistake" or a youthful indiscretion. He had to plan it out, and carry out the subterfuge until his greed got him caught. If he was caught in the act, he could have forfeited his firearm and his vehicle (even a $35K pickup), so a $500 fine won't be squat. I know that some of the states have a "trophy" clause that greatly ups the potential penalty, and am sure that this case would qualify.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
"A conviction for a violation of Wyo. Stat. 23-3-102(d) is punishable by a fine of not less than $5,000.00 nor more than $10,000.00 and imprisonment for up to one year. Moreover, a conviction could result in the requirement to pay restitution to the State of Wyoming and result in the loss of hunting privileges for a minimum of five years." ...pre trial set for end of July. ..trial set for August 23rd as of now. ..I hope they yank his hunting privileges before this year's season! !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I agree, just taking away their hunting privilages isn't and hasn't worked before for numbers of poachers. If they are going to poach they don't care if they have a tag or not. This guy just figured that he could get away with it because he had a tag even if it was for a whitetail.

Hit him where it hurts, make it a felony count and a couple of years in jail along with the fines. Then they might start thinking before they pull the trigger again.
If the poachers get a FELONY conviction, they can never again own or use a firearm. I agree though, killing a deer of this caliber should by all rights be a FELONY.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm curious; Is Nate Strong someone in the public eye? I've never heard of him. Sounds like he's just another poacher to me.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Yes WY ME, he's a teacher, and as such he should be held to a higher standard. I sure hope his lawyer doesn't get the Lacy act charges dropped for illegal interstate game transportation. That would certainly set his worthless butt in jail. A Federal rap besides what Wyoming does to him. I guess his dreams of being another Michael Waddell are shattered.....good deal.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Yes WY ME, he's a teacher, and as such he should be held to a higher standard. I sure hope his lawyer doesn't get the Lacy act charges dropped for illegal interstate game transportation. That would certainly set his worthless butt in jail. A Federal rap besides what Wyoming does to him. I guess his dreams of being another Michael Waddell are shattered.....good deal.
IMHO Every person ,regardless of who they are ,should pay the same penalty.

racksackssales

Apr 8, 2016
www.racksacks.com
The investigation began after an undisclosed person reported that they had concerns that the large and easily recognizable buck was taken illegally and out of season because the locals had photos of the deer after the season closed.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I agree with most of you in that every person should be held in the same regard (in court) whether they are celebrity, teacher or whatever. I do think the court of public opinion should, and will deal out further punishment through the years making it a little harder on those in the public eye. A guy like this will find it difficult to find a job going forward unless he moves and works with people who don't follow hunting. I sure wouldn't hire him and definitely would throw a fit if my kids school tried to hire him.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I agree with most of you in that every person should be held in the same regard (in court) whether they are celebrity, teacher or whatever. I do think the court of public opinion should, and will deal out further punishment through the years making it a little harder on those in the public eye. A guy like this will find it difficult to find a job going forward unless he moves and works with people who don't follow hunting. I sure wouldn't hire him and definitely would throw a fit if my kids school tried to hire him.
I think you're right. The consequences one faces outside of the law can be more severe. DUI offenses are a prime example. The stiff insurance premiums, loss of a job because of an inability to drive to work, etc. are much worse than the fines issued by the state.