MZ suggestions

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I have a Knight MK-85 MZ that I shoot conicals, caps and peep sights with. I love this gun and it's legal in OR, CO, ID, WA etc.. I am hunting elk in UT with a MZ this year and hope to take advantage of their more liberal MZ restrictions. I am looking to buy a MZ that I'll shoot strictly sabots, 209 primers, scoped etc., kind of a more modern set up to use in states that allow it. I'd rather get another set up than change the one I have each time. If any one is willing to share thoughts on which MZ 's to consider or not to consider for this please share your thoughts and suggestions. I asked this question on another site and received some great info, but I think there are some folks on here that are not over there. I know I've seen quite a few MZ hunters on here, so it will be nice to hear from some folks with on the ground experience.
Thanks in advance

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
CVA Accura. The Bergara barrels are very accurate. I think there is a strong possibility in the near future you could simply buy a western breech plug and firing pin if you wanted to also hunt with it in Oregon. I love break actions, they handle great and are very easy to clean an maintain. Better yet, get the one with the western breech plug, and buy a 209 breech plug for it and the 209 firing pin assembly. VERY simple conversion.

We used an Accura for my wife's Utah deer hunt topped with an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot. The scope has a 50,000 hour battery life, so you could basically leave it on for 5 years continuously.

I would also seriously think of another Knight like the DISC Extreme, that you could go either way if you change your mind later. I killed my Colorado bull last year using 209 primers in a DISC Extreme.

Those are my two favorites with the most flexibility.

I've also been intrigued with Ultimate Muzzleloaders.

rigderunner

Jun 23, 2015
I live and hunt Utah. I also hunt NV and CO when the draw is kind to me. I hunt all three with a T/C omega. Peep sight, 100
Grains powder and 300gr power belt. Great on mule deer out to 180yrds. Elk...100-120 yrds need the extra velocity to punch through those buggers, so I keep it to 120yrds max on those shots. . I could increase my powered load and out father but I find that my groups suffer.
Anyway, If you can find a used one for sale that was built before T/C was purchased several years back you'll have MZ that will perform well and last you a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Are sabots legal in Oregon ? I bought a traditions Northwestern that shoots a 209 primer break action with fiber optic sights. My question is that Traditions recommends there tapered Bullit , not a sabot which the tapered is legal in Oregon.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Are sabots legal in Oregon ? I bought a traditions Northwestern that shoots a 209 primer break action with fiber optic sights. My question is that Traditions recommends there tapered Bullit , not a sabot which the tapered is legal in Oregon.
If a muzzleloader only season, no centerfire primers, no sabots, no jacketed bullets, or bullets with plastic/synthetic tips or bases. Best thing to do is get online and read the regs, OR has about 1/2 of s page of muzzleloader rules.

Ray C

Jun 8, 2015
I live in Utah and hunt with a Knight original disk, Blackhorn 209, Barnes Tmz and magnum primers. This combo is super accurate and very deadly. You owe it to yourself to dump the belts and try a different bullet with the 209 powder!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I live in Utah and hunt with a Knight original disk, Blackhorn 209, Barnes Tmz and magnum primers. This combo is super accurate and very deadly. You owe it to yourself to dump the belts and try a different bullet with the 209 powder!
We also used the Barnes TMZ on my wife's Utah deer hunt, and as Ray mentioned Blackhorn 209 is the best powder in the planet. We use Fiocchi primers with Blackthorn 209 very successfully, they are considered one of the more accurate primers since they don't give off a lot of pressure. Primers which produce a lot of pressure can potentially can push the bullet off the charge before the powder ignites.

Last edited:

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
I would take a look at something with an easy opening breech plug like the T/C Triumph. The breech plug has interrupted threads and is knurled. Literally one quarter turn by hand and it comes out. That would make it very handy to get rid of a charge that won't go off without having to carry a plug wrench out in the field, just have some patches to wipe the threads. I really like mine. I would imagine that CVA or some other company makes one similar as well.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
I have been very happy with my CVA Accura, very accurate as others have said with a variety of sabots and charges. Sportsman's Warehouse had them last year for $349 base price which is incredible in its own right, but they often have $50 off over $280 and I got mine for $299. It's a lot of gun for that money. I've had Omegas, and some older Knights and this is the nicest all around ML I've had. Comes with a weaver base, fiber optic site, palm saver, sling, cleaning jag, lots of goodies that are mostly useful.