Muzzy Powder Accuracy

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Well, I think I finally have it figured out the best I can for now. I shot a pack of Federal Bor-Loks and wasn't impressed with them at any powder charge from 90-120. After battling with the Federals and 250 grain Thors that shot well last year, I ordered a pack of 300 gr Thors to see if I could tighten up my groups. The best I could do with the 250 gr Thor was about a 3" group at 100 which is unacceptable to me. It didn't matter what charge I used... I just couldn't get them to group. Got the 300s in and shot 90, 100, 105, and 110 grain loads in 3 shot groups. 100 seemed to be the tightest group with several rounds touching. Went back out today and shot at 100 yards again with 100 grains of 209 and the 300 thors. First 2 shots were touching just slightly right of center on my target and the third was about 1.5" left of those two at the exact same height. Went ahead and adjusted my sights where I wanted them and shot water jugs at 100 and 150. Two shots and two dead water jugs. I can't tell you how excited I was to see that water fly... Not sure why the load decided to change this year in the gun, but I can definitely say it's shooting good now!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
RICMIC I just noticed we are basically shooting the same thing. Only difference is the barrel I have is a .502
Yup, that is exactly what I am shooting. After settling on this load, I moved off the bench and did some shooting from various "field" positions. After the last range session, I cleaned the TC, and will shoot one fouling shot before I leave for CO. I thought that the .502 was too tight in my bore, so went with the .501s. I also tried the Federal Bor-Loks, and they didn't group well at all. I am confident to 150 yards, and could stretch that to 200 yards if the conditions are perfect. Good Luck

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I don't think I'm ready to attempt 200 unless its a follow up shot. I've actually been very pleasantly surprised as to how close my clean bore shot and fouled bore shot are together. For me, I don't see a need to fire a fouling shot to hunt with. Every rifle is a little different I guess! Good luck to you as well!