Muzzleloader Antelope?

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
How often do they add or update muzzleloader hunts for antelope? Starting to think about applications for 2017 and I'm interested in muzzleloading. Currently he only unit I can draw is 50, but I'd be burning a few points so I'm not sure if I want to do that or continue searching for second choice units. Anybody hunted 50 recently? How's the HMA? Any chance they'll add some other muzzy units for 2017? Happy holidays!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Just use a smoke pole instead of a rifle in any unit. I was going to do that last year and decided not to, ended up shooting my buck at 80 yards. Defiantly should have brought it.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
Right that's always an option. I am more just generally curious if/when they add them. The idea of the early season intrigues me too. Although the 3 currently available look to be pretty limited.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
They don't add them often. The muzz or archery only are very few in number and have been for quite a few years. You can most likely bet on last year's regs for muzz hunts and season dates.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Not sure how many points you have but a any good unit will be a quality muzzleloader hunt. If you want an early hunt just put in for an early opening unit.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
I'll have 2 points heading into this years draw, so lots of options.

Umpqua - good to know. I kind of figured that was the case!

Roundball

May 15, 2015
Ohio unfortunatly
I missed a good one in 106 in 2012, i had my chance, thought about trying 83 0r 68,92-96 also interests me'; I think i would have killed one had i had 2 more days; had to leave and take my son to unit25 for his 1st buck, I was recuperating from a chain saw to the foot accident! Don't ever where tennis shoes cutting wood!

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
It would be nice if the WG&F considered new muzzy options but the odds of that happening are about 0! You could put a scope on your muzzy and use sabots if you hunt a regular rifle season. If you wamt to go old school with regular patch and balls you could also use them during rifle season.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
It would be nice if the WG&F considered new muzzy options but the odds of that happening are about 0! You could put a scope on your muzzy and use sabots if you hunt a regular rifle season. If you wamt to go old school with regular patch and balls you could also use them during rifle season.
I don't see anything restrictive equipmentwise for muzzleloaders in WY. Can you point me to the regs you are seeing that limit optics and bullet types?

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
Started looking at what units open earlier, since that fits best into my schedule. I noticed that some units open Aug 15! That seems insanely early to me, especially to be gun hunting. Does anyone know why so early? I would guess depredation type hunts since they seem to be restricting to certain areas within the unit. Am I on the right path?