Muzzleloader Accuracy?

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Hi, I have a question about my muzzleloader that I have and how to improve its accuracy it a a Blackdiamond Thompson Center. I live in Oregon so Sabots are illegal and I have been using Maxi Hunters 350 grain bullets and varying my triple 7 powder but usually use 100 grains of powder. I have been on 3 hunts and have had a heck of a time with penetration and lost a couple of animals I also cannot get the rifle to group consistently from one day to the next. Is there a suggested bullet or load that you can recommend for my rifle? Or is there only going to be accuracy shooting sabots, and if so could you suggest a sabot that I can try and shoot out of it for my out of state hunts?
Thank you in advance,

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I had a T/C Black Diamond that I sold last year. It would not group really well and it also was very prone to getting rust in the trigger/action when it rained. That being said, I sold it and bought a T/C Pro Hunter.

From what i have been able to learn, M/L barrel dimensions vary a lot. I got ahold of Thor Bullets and Terry sent me a kit to determine the actual bore diameter. He makes bullets that actually fit.I would start there first.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I had a T/C Black Diamond that I sold last year. It would not group really well and it also was very prone to getting rust in the trigger/action when it rained. That being said, I sold it and bought a T/C Pro Hunter.

From what i have been able to learn, M/L barrel dimensions vary a lot. I got ahold of Thor Bullets and Terry sent me a kit to determine the actual bore diameter. He makes bullets that actually fit.I would start there first.

Their webpage is: thorbullets.com

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon

Their webpage is: thorbullets.com
Thank you CC that is good info I will get a hold of Thor

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I believe you have a fast twist barrel in that rifle (1:28) that is designed for sabots. If so you should be shooting a bullet closer to 450 grains for the bullet to stabilize properly and get the best accuracy. The 460 grain No Excuses bullet is a great bullet for Oregon and fits the legal requirements and shoots very well out of fast twist barrels. It is die sized and lubed for easy and consistent loading. Longer heavier bullets will also be less prone to shedding energy and have better down range performance. As an example, a round ball is not effective much beyond 50 yards due to limited energy.

Here is the link for the No Excuses bullets.

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

For good accuracy keep your powder amount closer to 80 grains.

With T-7 make sure you follow a very consistent bore swabbing procedure between every shot. Use a very very slightly damp patch or two, followed by a dry patch or two between each shot.

Up until this year Thor bullet (all copper) would have been illegal in Oregon. Only all lead bullets have been allowed in the past, but this year there has been a change to the wording in the regs and the Thor bullets just might be legal, but I'm not certain. It has to do with how "federally-approved nontoxic shot material" is defined. The 2014 Oregon regs say:

"Only conical bullets made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic shot material, with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and round balls made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic material, used with cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only."

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a 1:28 twist, my cva and traditions have zero trouble shooting conicals.

I'd completely break the rifle down for a good solid scrubbing, run about 50 strokes of remington 40x bore cleaner, reoil the bore and the next time you head out, see how that works.

Im not a big fan of tc guns for shooting conicals as the QLA often limits them from being tack drivers with them, but that model ive seen quite often and it shouldnt be having a problem with the maxiballs.

How old is the powder?

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Nothing wrong with a 1:28 twist, my cva and traditions have zero trouble shooting conicals.

I'd completely break the rifle down for a good solid scrubbing, run about 50 strokes of remington 40x bore cleaner, reoil the bore and the next time you head out, see how that works.

Im not a big fan of tc guns for shooting conicals as the QLA often limits them from being tack drivers with them, but that model ive seen quite often and it shouldnt be having a problem with the maxiballs.

How old is the powder?
The powder was bought this summer

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I have a T/C Omega. I never got great groups until I switched to Thors. They are very accurate out of my gun. Listen to FrontierMuzzleloading... he knows his stuff! I'm sure he will help you get things figured out. The website/ forum he administers has tons of good info too. Good luck!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I had a similar problem with my TC Omega. Originally I was shooting 1.5 inch groups and over an off season my M/L switched to 18 inch groups. After several discussions with T/C customer service and technical group they recommended bullets like the Hornady FPB or the Thor style bullet for those that can not shoot a sabot. They absolutely did not recommend the Powerbelts or the T/C maxi ball for the 1:28 twist barrel. Currently I am shooting the hornady and on deer I have had pass throughs at 100 yds.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I shoot a lot of BP and subs (usually APP), as I shoot Cowboy Action and shoot BP in pistol, rifle and shotgun. One thing I have found in shooting BP in shotgun is that because of the really hot combustion, it melts plastic wads and coats the barrel with plastic. I only use fiber wads now. I noticed that same thing with Powerbelts. They have the green plastic cup and I got lots of green plastic residue in the barrel. Accuracy was not good after a couple of shots. Cleaning is harder than just cleaning the normal BP residue.

I use nothing but Thors now.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I kinda wish I had killed my deer this year with a Hornady FPB just to see how it preformed. Sabots are legal here so I used a Knight red hot, which got the job done very well as they always have for me. I use 777 fffg powder because I think the finer powder burns a little hotter and cleaner. I did notice it does not burn as clean with musket caps as with 209's and I have to clean the barrel every shot with the musket caps to shoot a good group where I could clean every 3 shots with 209's. I have never used an all lead bullet because I have never hunted anywhere that I had to use them. I would get some different makes and weights of bullets and try them and see what your gun likes. ML's can be kinds picky about what they shoot well and what 1 likes another might not. I tried some 44 cal bullets one time that my friends Knight original disc shot well and my Knight disc extreme shot all over the place with them.