muledeer hunting general units or limited quota units, which is better

BuckeyeDIY

Mar 13, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
I would think it would be better to spend my time hunting, and getting to know the area in a General Hunt Area, instead of waisting my time waiting for points to hunt in a Limited Quota Unit. If there are obvious reasons that I am unaware of, someone please enlighten me?

ultmag300

Mar 13, 2011
oregon city ,or
There are a lot of factors to concider when hunting in a general season areas "vrs" limited quota areas, just a few things to concider...
what state are you concidering ,this makes a big differance, each state has varied management strategies for general season
1.what kind of shape are you in ?
2. are you a road hunter ?
3.what are your hunting skills ?
4.how far are you willing to drive ?
5.are you hunting on your own or with a group ?
6. the list goes on
if you do some basic research you will find some great areas in alot of western states , good luck :)

BuckeyeDIY

Mar 13, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
Thanx ultmag, I greatly appreciate u taking the time to anwer. This was my first post, and looking back I was'nt very specific. Wyoming is the state I am interesteded in.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
I don't think it's a waste of time building points at all. Limited Quota areas usually have better trophy quality and less pressure. You can learn a lot about the area from maps and talking to people.

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
I have had this same issue. I have max points in wyoming and I don't want to waste them on a sud-par unit, but I also want to get out and hunt. I think that finding a good general unit that allows you go get out and hunt more often is the way to go. I have the points but what good do they do me if I am sitting at home while others are out hunting. The trophy quality may be a little lower in the general units but that doesn't mean that there aren't trophys there. my point is it is funner to get out and hunt as often as possable so you need whatever tag you can get.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
One thing you might want to try is to put in for a hard to draw unit for your first choice and a general tag for your second. I just started playing the points game a while back and this is what I have been doing the last couple years. I allows you to learn the general zones and still build points. Good luck!!

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Right now everyone in the max point pool is going to be applying for their #1 or #2 best units until they draw and burn their points. After that they will go in different directions because they'll never draw best again.

For anyone who has already drawn or has less than max points I would compromise between your 2 options and pick a 2/3 point unit you could learn and get to hunt every couple years.

Futboler

Feb 24, 2011
Great Falls, MT
Most draws allow you to play the points game and still draw and learn general region units on your inbetween years.....especially in WY for mule deer. Build points in CO or UT and every 5 to 10 years and get a great limited quota hunt. But still very valuable to learn the areas that you can hunt year in and year out.

shed

Mar 10, 2011
I enjoy both. I have had many hard to draw tags. I enjoy those limited entry permits. However I always have a great time on over the counter tags. I just like to hunt. I research and learn all I can regardless of where I am going to hunt.