Mule Deer

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Assuming I'm successful on my mule deer hunt this fall, where would yall suggest taking a deer to be processed in region R? Ill keep the tenderloins seperate, but plan to get the whole animal processed. What do yall like to get made out of your mule deer?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Can't help with region R processors. My family has always really enjoyed mule deer burger mixed with 10-15% beef fat. We have done jerky, sausage, etc but generally the mule deer becomes our burger that we use for sliders, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.. The steaks can be hit or miss but I have had some that were very good. I would always keep the back straps whole though. Bring to room temp, slow grill/reverse sear to medium rare and slice into medallions. Hard to beat imo.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Thats what I usually do with them. Appreciate the advice. Im definitely going to get some burger but was thinking about some brats or italian sausages too.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would suggest you take a tour of any place you look at for processing. I butcher my own because there no to be sure you are getting you own meat back when it is ground. One year we went to a couple of processors in Riverton and I almost lost my lunch it was so bad.

Just sayin...............

Reactions: Bonecollector

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Assuming I'm successful on my mule deer hunt this fall, where would yall suggest taking a deer to be processed in region R? Ill keep the tenderloins seperate, but plan to get the whole animal processed. What do yall like to get made out of your mule deer?
We make everything out of mule deer, including steaks, chops, roasts, jerky, burger, etc. I love mule deer...it's what I drew up eating and so are my kids :)