Mule Deer Success Thread!

wyheadhunter

Aug 27, 2014
Wyoming
HUNT 2014 047.jpg Here is a picture of my 2014 last day mule deer I was able to harvest on public land while out antelope hunting with my daughter. I hope this works as I am struggling to figure the picture thingy out.

smokepoler63

Apr 22, 2015
Iona, Idaho
Here are the results of our annual Montana hunt. This is a general season, over the counter hunt. Not the biggest bucks, but we sure have a great time every year!

IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1769.JPGIMG_1795.JPGIMG_1804.JPGIMG_5327.jpg

sra61

Apr 21, 2015
Kalispell, MT
Great buck! It's cool to see all the bark and tree material on his bases- he was tearing some trees up!
Yeah he had a lot of shredded bark on his bases. They are really gnarly too. I was so hoping to leave that on there, but of course it all fell off between the field and the taxidermist. I suppose it would be easy enough to rub some shrubbery on those bases when the mount's done though?

sra61

Apr 21, 2015
Kalispell, MT
Great buck sra61. You must have dropped him like Thor's hammer with that high shoulder shot.
The shot was pretty anticlimactic. He was only maybe 75 yds away, and I shot him with my 300 RUM w/180 gr. Barnes TSX bullet that was still way over 3000 fps when it got to him. He didn't even hardly kick!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Yeah he had a lot of shredded bark on his bases. They are really gnarly too. I was so hoping to leave that on there, but of course it all fell off between the field and the taxidermist. I suppose it would be easy enough to rub some shrubbery on those bases when the mount's done though?
I have seen some work my taxidermist did where some of that stuff was added back on. Its artificial so it never loses color- looks cool to me. I think it is fairly inexpensive to add.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
This is a California Mule Deer. He obviously has some strong Blacktail influence, and is nothing like the monster mulies from Colorado, etc.. However, I was pretty pleased with him because he was a big deer, and I was able to shoot him at 325 yards with a 30/06 Encore pistol during the last fifteen minutes of the season.

MMO-X12-2014.jpg

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I live down in SW Colorado and we have tons of deer in our home area, mostly ag area, orchards and hay. I have an apple orchard and usually shoot a doe every year for the freezer. Occasionally there will be a decent buck around too, especially during the rut. I shot this 4x4 a few years ago. I was grilling a couple of steaks and looked out at the orchard and saw this buck munching apples. He looked like a tag filler to me. I grabbed my Ruger M77 25-06 and headed over to where he was about 400 yards from the house. I got within 50 yards of him and popped him in the neck. I suddenly realized, I didn't even have my pocket knife! My neighbor came over and we got him gutted and hung in my RV barn. He weighed 203# with hide and head off. I couldn't believe how fat he was. A real freezer filler that was great table fare!Buck from orchard.jpgBuck in orchard.jpg