msr pocket rocket 2

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am buying the msr pocket rocket 2 camp stove . was wondering . those with backpacking experience . if you were going on a 4-5 day pack trip would the smaller 2.3oz gas canister be sufficient for one person assuming two meals a day . say it were to run say about 30-40 minutes total. or would I need a bigger canister??

also.....are the different brand canisters interchangeable or would I have to buy the msr brand? I ask this because I can't get the msr canisters in my town but jetboil is stocked and would save me ordering over the net..

I have never used these small canisters so am unsure.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
With these type stoves, you're are generally just boiling water rather than cooking or simmering for an extended period. Bring a spare for your first outing, and adjust accordingly after that. Any isobutane bottle should be compatable, but I would buy one and test it before venturing out.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I have a different brand, but similar to pocket rocket. Two of us ran 5 days last year on one small canister and it still has enough left in there for another couple days at least. All we are doing is boiling water and I'm assuming you are doing the same. You should have plenty of fuel in the small can. I have used MSR, JetBoil, and Optimus bottles on mine with no issues.

RANGER619

Sep 27, 2011
MN
I have that stove and if my memory is correct I can boil 12-14 oz. of water (enough for most of my dehydrated meals) with about 6-7 grams of fuel. I tested this at about 1400 ft so your amount may vary depending on elevation. This is in my garage with a lid on the pot. The 100 gm canister should do roughly 14 boils. This is obviously a rough estimate. Wind will make a huge difference. I am still at work so my numbers may be off (I will try to look up my test numbers tonight). One 100gm canister should be plenty. Any brand will work, some have a little different mix to work better in the winter. I have used both MSR and Jetboil without issue.

RANGER619

Sep 27, 2011
MN
I just looked for the numbers I came up with when I tested my stoves and I can't find them. Sorry. If I do find them I will post them.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have had a pocket rocket for years, they work well, you will need to be creative with wind screens though.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have had a pocket rocket for years, they work well, you will need to be creative with wind screens though.
mine is the pocket rocket 2. windscreens supposed to be an upgrade from the original.?? which do you have?