Moving to washington. Any chance of me hunting there this fall?

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I will be moving to Washington for 6 months starting in October(wife has a 6 mo. internship). Is there any chance for me to do some bowhunting(deer or elk) as a non resident? I know I have some research to do, just thought I'd see what I'm up against with no points toward anything in Washington. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
Yes ull have to buy a NR tag and theres plenty of OTC and lots of public land. If your going to bow hunt ull be restricted to the late season that starts around thanksgiving.

Luckily you will be just in time to catch some great bear hunting as they feast on the berries. Washington has a great bear population (somewhere in the 25-30,000 range) and allows you to be in the field till November. A quick Google search can turn up some places to start and should be coupled with other searches for what you need to look for, terrain-wise, when locating a place to hunt. As Jon Boy said we are blessed with alot of room to roam, so take your pick!

Late archery season opens around thanksgiving, just in time for the mule deer rut in eastern Washington--assuming the rut is on some kind of schedule. The Blacktail rut on the westside of the mountains will be winding down, but can still offer some rattling opportunities for bucks cruising for second-cycle does.

All in all Washington has some good prospects if you are willing to put in the miles and go where others are not willing. Good luck!

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I will be moving to Tacoma area. I'm sure I will be able to find some good options. Madman- I certainly don't mind puting on the miles; getting where others aren't, is all part of the game. I look forward to trecking some new terrain, chasing some Blacktail. Thanks for the tips. I better get started.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
MTO, I just moved here with my family last summer myself. I came from Missouri. We don't live to far from each other now, and there is another member on here from REALLY close by. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can "learn together" sometime. I did get to hunt a little last fall. Didn't shoot anything, but was in on 2 successful bear hunts, and saw some smaller blacktails. All in all it was a fun learning experience. It is beautiful here, and the people seem generally very nice. Now I am trying to figure out Spring Turkey, I also put in for a spring bear tag. I am also trying to figure out what Limited Quota Elk and Deer units I am applying for.

Chad

WA Hunter

Feb 22, 2012
Rochester, WA
I am from WA and live 40 minutes south of you, if you need any help on deciding which units you might wanna put in for feel free to shoot me a pm.