Mountain Mule Deer 2019

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
The summer began with a few hiking/scouting trips into the alpine and high country lakes in the area. I was usually with family or quite a large group so glassing for animals wasn't really in the cards but lots of sign and game trails were noted and everything was looking good. We didn't have the extreme dry conditions like the last few years so everything was lush and pretty much stayed that way until the frost got it. A really good year for forage for the ungulates and a stellar berry crop for bears. I had a really good feeling about this season already.

Opening weekend, first weekend after September 10th was kind of a bust, the weather was terrible, one of those more or less non-stop rains on Saturday, and Sunday I only had time for a short morning hunt. No animals were harmed and only a couple were spotted. I got out for a longer day hunt into my favourite road closure the following weekend and I had a very large old 3x3 come out to within 80m of where I was sitting. Unfortunately to be legal here a mule deer must have 4 points on one side excluding eye guards. All I could do was watch. He was an extremely heavy three point, he would have been a great deer to cut my tag on.

For my 50th birthday my wife, daughters, and my wife's family went together and got me a new ultralight tent, new -9C down bag, and I finally replaced my old worn out gaiters. What better way to break it all in but to head out into the mountains for a long weekend pack trip for mule deer or elk. I knew it was calling for snow that weekend but I was so focused on going I kind of ignored the details and just went. How much could it really snow that early in September? Turns out quite a lot. I didn't manage to get away until 1:00pm so camp wasn't set up until shortly after 4:00pm. It had been trying to rain at the beginning of the trail in but had stopped until I was at camp when it started to snow heavily. It didn't last so off I went for what I hoped would be at least a couple of hours hunting and glassing some of the surrounding slopes. I picked my glassing spot and began to slowly pick apart the landscape, it should have been perfect. Late afternoon sun lit up the cut beautifully and with a storm front moving in I had thought the deer would be out for a last feed. An hour in I haven't seen a deer, this in a spot where I almost always see at least a few does/fawns, this time nothing. Then I spot the reason for no deer. Out of the corner of my binoculars I catch a bit of movement, but it's kind of dark for a deer or elk, too light for a moose, that's a grizzly feeding his last few mouthfuls of huckleberries. The following snowstorm caused all the berries to drop. I watch the bear feeding 250m or so away trying to figure out where he was heading. Then in rolls the fog and it starts to really snow now. Camp is a 10 minute walk for me from where I'm sitting so that's what 5 minutes for a bear at a casual big boar grizzly stroll. I was somewhat concerned. He did look fat and happy though so I decided not to move camp, short of going home everywhere I hike, camp, hunt, fish, etc is grizzly country. I gave an extra splash of scotch in my tea that night.

What a night, it stormed like mad, howling winds, snow nonstop all night it was crazy. The morning brought a completely new landscape from the night before.

DSCF2053.jpgDSCF2054.jpg

The next morning.
DSCF2055.jpgDSCF2056.jpg
You can just make out my tent in the center of the photo, that little splash of green.

I got up had a good breakfast and contemplated what to do. I decided to hunt until 12:00pm and see what the weather was going to do. I told myself if there was a break in the storm I'd stay another night, if it continued to snow I'd likely have to go. I had no idea how far down the snow went and how the logging road would be for driving out. I was a bit concerned. Anyhow I hunted all morning, big timber still hunting trying to catch a buck bedded or cut some fresh tracks. Nothing was out in the open, the wind was just ripping, trees were coming down so even hunting the timber was not relaxing.
DSCF2057.jpg

Right around noon I was back in camp, cooked up some soup and a tea and gave the weather another hour to break.
DSCF2061.jpg

It didn't so that was it for me, packed up a very snowy damp camp threw it all sort of on my cart and headed home. By the time I was down to my truck there was only snow on the metal work none on the ground. I could have stayed but with a further 24 hours of snow forecast I was concerned getting out would become problematic. It was still a great adventure, the new gear worked perfectly, I had the warmest sleep I've ever had in cold conditions, it got down to below -10C so the sleeping bag did it's job. The tent didn't collapse so it did it's job. I was happy about that.

To be continued later.

Last edited:

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
The following weekend my daughter wanted to go grouse and turkey hunting so that's what we did Saturday morning. Unfortunately the hunting gods were not smiling on us and due to me missing two grouse we came home empty handed. I still love those mornings on the mountain with my daughter, we found a nice sunny spot with a great view and enjoyed a long leisurely morning tea break. The Sunday was spent turkey and deer hunting with an old friend from junior/senior high. Not much moving that day either, only a doe and her fawn, we didn't even see a grouse.

I decided to take Friday October 11th off work and head off up my favourite road closure again towing my cart and carrying my pack. It was forecast to be a beautiful weekend, no rain until Monday, clear and sunny Friday and Saturday. Perfect for glassing and slowly making my way across the mountain using cutblocks and old logging roads. The forecast for Friday was on the money.DSCF2062.jpg

I was on the road at 6:00am, had camp all set up by 9:30, brewed a cup of tea and contemplated what to do for the day. I decided to let the wind dictate my day. So that's what I did, with the wind out of the west at that time I headed north to a block where I could sit and glass from the furthest south west corner. The same one as where the grizzly was spotted on the previous trip.DSCF2071.jpg

I had my lunch, drank some more tea, and just picked apart the landscape. Spent the better part of three hours there until I felt the wind begin to tickle the back of my neck, time to make a move. I headed east with the wind out of the south, the thermals were blowing upslope so I headed for a different block to work my way across the top before heading over to my favourite glassing spot. As I'm easing my way down the slope I'm constantly stopping and glassing as the block unfolds around me. On one of these pauses a two point eyes me up before he loses interest in trying to figure out what I am and walks slowly off. I slow down because I know I'm close to getting eyes on the favoured bedding spot for deer on this block.

South facing with a thicket of alders blocking westerlies and a bench full of tall grasses this bedding area is always in use. In fact last years' buck was shot just a few meters upslope of this bench and was most likely coming in to feed and bed. As a corner of the bench comes into view I immediately spot antlers. Binoculars up, it's a four point, not huge but still it's a legal buck at less than 80m and asleep. The slope is such that I lay back against the hill eased my pack off and took another look. From where I'm at all I can see is his head and a small portion of his left front shoulder, no decent shot. I see that if I can quietly shimmy my way downslope 30m or so I'll probably be able to use a small fir tree and a rock to peek around. I should be at that point more or less at the same elevation and he should be broadside.

As I make my way very slowly downslope I can't resist the urge to peek over the brow and check on him, the two times I checked on him he was exactly as I had first seen him. I get to the point of the ridge and take a final look before I decide if I'm going to shoot. This time when I ease over the ridge separating us he's laying facing away and further to the west. He must have got up and bedded down again. He also looks bigger, bigger head and his antlers seem larger from this angle.You've probably already guessed what was going on but in my adrenaline riddled brain I was too focused to figure out he wasn't alone. He is a decent four point, not a giant by any means but it has been such a perfect day I see no reason not to make it a perfect hunt.

I ease back over the brow of the ridge I'm on and using my trigger stick I get a solid rest against the small fir tree, I'm comfortably laying sort of on my side looking through my scope. Since he's facing away and I don't want to ruin a bunch of meat I wait a while to see if he stands. I normally caution against head and neck shots but this was one situation where it seemed not only feasible but the absolute best shot I had. So at less than 60m I centered the cross hairs about half way down his neck and pulled the trigger. He never knew what hit him, he never moved from his bed. You can see him laying there and the other four point that was also bedded with him in the upper right hand corner.DSCF2072.jpg
DSCF2074.jpg

As I approached him it just looked like he was sleeping.DSCF2076.jpg

He's just your average mule deer but right now I'm at a place that the hunt is the most memorable part of the trophy. When I'm solo on a back packing trip any buck is a trophy. The day could not have been better. DSCF2083.jpgDSCF2080.jpgDSCF2087.jpg

The only thing that would have made it more perfect is if my hunting partner and absolute best friend for the last 44years could have been with me. Also since it was just past 3:30pm I could have used a bit more time before dark. I decided I did not like the idea of staying on the mountain with a hundred pounds of fresh meat. Now it became a race. By 5:00pm he was gutted and dragged down to an access I could get my game cart to. As quickly as I could I got back to camp, broke it down and packed it up in record time. Back to the deer by shortly after 6:00pm. Shadows are getting long now. Got both my headlamps into accessible places along with a spare set of batteries, tied the deer somewhat haphazardly onto the cart, threw on the pack, shouldered the rifle and starting singing.DSCF2102.jpg
My singing is probably my best first line of bear defence. When I'm singing I've never seen a bear. In my head it sounds like Bruce or Mellencamp are in the house but apparently I'm tone deaf. Solely because of my singing I survive the 4.5km walk out in the dark, the full moon was nice. I even shut my headlamp off a couple of times just to admire it. Then the cougars, wolves and bears started moving in and I turned my headlamp back on and they were banished once again.

I was home by 9:40pm much to the surprise of my wife and youngest daughter. By midnight I had the deer parted out and in the shed cooling down. Saturday was spent cleaning up the meat getting it all into the old cotton pillow cases I use for game bags, and rehung in the shed. Ready to butcher on Monday. DSCF2104.jpg

It was the perfect hunt to my way of thinking. I wish I could have spent the night cozied up to the fire but I get paranoid when I'm alone on a mountain covered in blood. I actually didn't get very much on me but you get the drift. Some of the gear I used on this hunt for those who are curious: tent MEC Spark2, sleeping bag MEC Draco -9Cdown, sleeping pad thermarest Trail Lite, rifle Tikka t3 Featherlite 270win shooting Federal Fusions 150gr, gaitors MEC Gortex, binocular Vortex HD5000 range finding(a prize I won from Eastman's father's day giveaway) spotting scope Leupold compact 15x30, knife Havalon piranta, pack by Serratus(an old Canadian made pack that I've had for over twenty years), boots by Scarpa Kinesis GTX pro. Raingear and clothing are just a mish mash of good quality hiking gear, some camo most not but all in olives, browns or greens.

I hope you enjoyed the telling of the tale, I know I thoroughly enjoyed the making of it. A hunt that will be hard to top in so many ways. The weather, the views, the smells, even the nervous Nelly walk out in the dark. That full moon was incredible. Everything added to the perfection of this day and very grateful to the deer for supplying my family and I with good organic meat in the coming year. Hunt hard but stay safe, wishing you all a successful season.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Great story Joseph; Those solo hunts that come together like that are something special. No one can fully understand it if they haven't experienced it themselves. Hunting with family/friends has a place, but sometimes you just have to march to that different drummer. You may shoot bigger bucks, but I bet this one will always be one of your favorites.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I even shut my headlamp off a couple of times just to admire it. Then the cougars, wolves and bears started moving in and I turned my headlamp back on and they were banished once again
It's amazing how fast those predators can move in when you turn your headlamp off then disappear when you turn it back on!!!! Great story and congratulations.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Great story Joseph; Those solo hunts that come together like that are something special. No one can fully understand it if they haven't experienced it themselves. Hunting with family/friends has a place, but sometimes you just have to march to that different drummer. You may shoot bigger bucks, but I bet this one will always be one of your favorites.
I have shot only one mule deer larger, so far, and even though I did get him on a solo hunt(same mountain in fact at lake level) it wasn't on a backpacking trip. That previous hunt was a day hunt, I do a lot of day hunts since I live in the middle of the Kootenay Rockies getting to my hunting areas sometimes only involves a 1/2 drive. Backpacking in adds to the overall adventure(sometimes gruelling work) and in the end, for me at least, makes for a better hunt. I see no other hunters, I seldom hear motor noise(jets passing overhead), there are no lights to be seen, and in the best sense of the word I experience solitude. The few times I've been successful on this type of hunt make the trophy, it's not about the inches for me it's more about the hunt.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I went 23 days without seeing another human being on a wilderness trip many years ago. I wouldn't want to replicate that now, but my favorite hunts the last few years were solo jaunts in the mountains where I shot my smallest mule deer, and the other was my first cow elk. Lots of bigger critters on other trips, but those two I think about the most.