Mountain Lion

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I have a dream to kill a mountain lion, solo, without dogs.
I got snowshoes, I have a fox pro caller, and I got the occasional short notice day to take off when the weather is right.
Besides LOTS of luck and patience, what else can you tell me to help me try and fulfill me dream!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Why do you need snowshoes?

Most lions will be down with the deer where the snow isn't that deep.

As for what else you need, consider lots and lots of time. I've spent more than my fair share out in lion country and I have seen 5 lions in 55+ years and 2 of them were together, and that was without dogs

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

As for what else you need, consider lots and lots of time. I've spent more than my fair share out in lion country and I have seen 5 lions in 55+ years and 2 of them were together, and that was without dogs
Deer by my house have a couple areas they winter kind of regardless of the amount of snow. This year there's probably 12-15" right now there.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There is quite a story about the two that I saw together.

I was elk hunting with a friend that had never been hunting before and had zero equipment. He didn't have a tag by was just tagging along. We hiked about a mile and a half off of the road and were sitting watching a drainage when we started to hear a weird screaming. To me it sounded like a bear cub bawling at the top of his lungs. I started glassing the opposite ridge working my way down the hill. After a 5 or 10 minutes I looked directly below us at about 75 yards in the bottom of the draw. There were two cats in love just going at it. I handed my binoculars to my friend that was right next to me and told him where to look. After he took the binoculars and found them I pulled my rifle up to look through the scope and in that instance they were finished and were off. I tried to find them to see if they were smoking a cigarette buy no dice. I killed my elk the next day in the next drainage.

A year later rabbit hunting about a mile away along the ridge I frequently ran into cat track in the snow. There was a female and 3 tracks that were littler than what hers were.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
There is quite a story about the two that I saw together.

I was elk hunting with a friend that had never been hunting before and had zero equipment. He didn't have a tag by was just tagging along. We hiked about a mile and a half off of the road and were sitting watching a drainage when we started to hear a weird screaming. To me it sounded like a bear cub bawling at the top of his lungs. I started glassing the opposite ridge working my way down the hill. After a 5 or 10 minutes I looked directly below us at about 75 yards in the bottom of the draw. There were two cats in love just going at it. I handed my binoculars to my friend that was right next to me and told him where to look. After he took the binoculars and found them I pulled my rifle up to look through the scope and in that instance they were finished and were off. I tried to find them to see if they were smoking a cigarette buy no dice. I killed my elk the next day in the next drainage.

A year later rabbit hunting about a mile away along the ridge I frequently ran into cat track in the snow. There was a female and 3 tracks that were littler than what hers were.
Aw!,how cute.That makes you Grandpa Jim.Ha!Ha!. 🔥

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

mine wasn't

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Where did you find yours kidoggy?

I'm sure this is a your going to find them where you find them, but just looking for a few experiences.
mine was up about 5000 feet or so in January. snow was probly 4 feet or so . no deer (or very, very few ) up there at that time of year, he'd been feasting on elk.

tracked him in the snow from one of his kills to his home, a quarter mile or so away. big hole at base of a rock. when he stuck his head out, 5 yards away, we both pooped ourselves. I fell over backwards , in surprise and thankfully he went the other way ,instead of ripping my face off.
I got myself situated and shot him in the back of the neck as he was running away, with a .45 gr hollowpoint .223 at around 100 yards or so. he went down hard and did not twitch.

I wouldn't limit yourself to the lowlands . anywhere their are ungulates to eat ,you may find lions. :D

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Look for fresh lion tracks. Get a good vantage point and start calling.

If you can find a fresh kill like said above you can sit on it and see if something comes in. That will be a good way if it’s a carcass that you have killed. Come back and watch it. If it’s a lion kill it will be very difficult to see the lion. In my experience the lion will feed on a kill they have made till they are stuffed. They will bury it and usually won’t return.

Fresh tracks and some luck is a better way imo.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Tracks are easy, just drive the roads with fresh snow and look for them either crossing or walking down it.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Try hiking an area for a while then backtrack yourself on the way out.
Sometimes Lions out of curiosity will follow you and you can
see thier tracks over yours.I've had this happen twice.Hunted Az. for
50yrs. and still have never seen a Mtn. Lion...but I know they see me! 🔥

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The first lion that I ever saw was tracking a hunter. The hunter had come over a hill and then down through some brush before he went back over the hill. The cat came along about 5 minutes later following the exact same route that the hunter had taken, that is until my brother in law shot it.

Cats are curious and will follow people without causing any harm. As for retracing your steps, I have quite often seen cat tracks on top of mine when I have come out of a area. At times it feels quite spooky knowing that there is a cat there and quite likely just watching you.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
The one I shot with out dogs, took my elk carcass. I snuck in a week later and he was bedded down next to it.
try and find a kill and watch.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Tracks are easy, just drive the roads with fresh snow and look for them either crossing or walking down it.
Essentially almost every road is closed on Pole Mtn all winter by my house. Driving roads isn't really an option for the most part.