Most Important Antelope Gear

DABAU

Jan 22, 2014
Georgia
Well I just got done scraping ice off my truck here in Georgia. I don't exactly get to do that every day and being stuck at home being completely unproductive trying to get some work done, I figured I would ask the following question just to see what everyone thinks:

If you had to name only one piece of equipment what would be the single most important item in your arsenal for antelope hunting. Guns don't count.

chow hound

Nov 14, 2012
GPS with landowner chip. 2nd would be a range finder capable of ranging and animal to 500 yds - being from the East, I didn't realize when a range finder says 500 yds range that they are talking about something like a stop sign. An animal is probably 1/2 the stated range.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Good optics would be #1 on my list in an area with lots of public land, if there wasnt alot of public land gps and chip would be #1.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Assuming you have the essential hunting items (bullets, optics, etc.), always take a bipod/shooting stick to rest on. Where the antelope roam, there are very few plants tall enough to get a good rest on.

Next would be a couple coolers packed full of ice. Given the time of year most of us are hunting speed goats, it's essential, in regards to meat quality, to make sure the carcass get cooled down rapidly after taking the animal. On every antelope I shoot, I skin, quarter, put quarters in plastic bags, and put meat in the coolers within 30 minutes of taking the shot. Never ate a bad antelope using this method.

Assuming you have the essential hunting items (bullets, optics, etc.), always take a bipod/shooting stick to rest on. Where the antelope roam, there are very few plants tall enough to get a good rest on.

Next would be a couple coolers packed full of ice. Given the time of year most of us are hunting speed goats, it's essential, in regards to meat quality, to make sure the carcass get cooled down rapidly after taking the animal. On every antelope I shoot, I skin, quarter, put quarters in plastic bags, and put meat in the coolers within 30 minutes of taking the shot. Never ate a bad antelope using this method.
If I'm not allowed to pick binoculars, then I'm going with this. Rangefinder yes, but I do love antelope meat if it's taken care of. I still think TP is important though.

QQ

Last edited:

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
For me, the critical "must have" equipment for locating and evaluating Antelope are:

1- Good binoculars
2- Good spotting scope / tripod
3- Folding lawn chair to set comfortably behind the spotting scope, doesn't seem like a big deal till you don't have one !!!!

Plainsman

Apr 17, 2013
SW WY
Another vote for optics! Good binocs are just that- good to have. If it's feasible though, I will carry the extra weight on a pack to have a spotting scope with me. My biggest reason is not only greatly extending the distance I can see, but also for giving me the best chance to field judge the critter.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
We spent a LOT of time on our spotters judging antelope on our last trip. I'd almost put a good spotter ahead of binos for antelope. We went to our unit 3 days before season to scout, spent a lot of time in the vehicle before season glassing.

I'd go:
Spotter (we had a Nikon ED50 and a Vortex Razor 20-60) good tripod and window mounts
Binos (we had Zen Ray 8x, Zeiss 8x and 10x, and Steiner 12x) I think a good 15x would really be good here
Rangefinder (we had Leupold 1000 and Bushnell 1200) Next time I will have a 1600yd Leica, really want a better rangefinder
Shooting sticks/Bipod (we use Stoney Point rapid pivot, now marketed as Primos Polecat)
GPS with area map showing public/private, roads, etc.

Other gear we used

Giant cooler with dry ice, smaller cooler with food and drinks
Shovel (front bumper receiver hitch dug into a ditch, had to dig a little)
Gerber hatchet to bust joints when removing quarters at truck, save edge on our knives
Good boots that hold up to cactus
Eberlestock X1A1 and J34 packs
Blackhawk knee pads
Havalon knives