Moose

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have a few friends in canada and they kill moose with less gun than that. They claim a moose isnt that hard to bring down. Personally i would go with a 180 grain bullet.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What I have heard about moose is that after being shot they don't know that they are suppose to lay down and die.

A outfitter friend of mine up in British Colombia watched one take 5 180 grain bullets from a 300 Win mag before it dropped. It just stood there watching them. Then there are the folks over in Sweden or one of those countries in Europe that use a 6.5x55 to shoot them.

The key is to hit them in the right spot and that old tried and true 30-06 will work just fine. I think that I would use the 180 grain loads or 160 grain Barnes TTSX bullets.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Yes.

The guide I knew in Ontario hunted moose with an open sighted 30-30. Killed a pile of them too.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have killed 2 moose in BC, a cow and a bull. Both were taken with a 30-06 with my 180 gr handloads. 1 shot on the cow and 2 on the bull. Like Jim said......bullet placement.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
The bull I shot I hit twice with .300wsm. 1st was perfect double lung but it took off up the hill so I wung a second shot and he dropped in his tracks……hit him trough the ear in the brain. What are the odds of that??? One of the moose my dad shot, he hit it 3 times in the shoulder. Just stood there til it dropped. A 30-06 would be fine, it’s just shot placement on big bodied animals.

Reactions: marcusvdk

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Most factory 30.06 150 grain bullets aren't constructed to handle heavy bone and tissue on elk and moose. What ever grain you pick make sure its designed for the job. I like 165 class of bullets but they may not hold up too moose.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Back when Minnesota still had a moose season, three guys from our hunting shack had drawn tags, and all dropped their moose using 30-06 with 180 grain Core-locs. I have had good results with Barnes bullets on elk, so would prefer to use that or a Nosler Partition for moose.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most
Most of the time those 180's will just shoot lower than a lighter bullet.

If you don't want to adjust the scope just create a dope sheet and tape it to the stock. That will let you know how much higher you will need to aim.

But if you want to adjust the scope keep track on how many clicks you moved and what direction so that you can readjust for your lighter bullets with minimum range time

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Most
Most of the time those 180's will just shoot lower than a lighter bullet.

If you don't want to adjust the scope just create a dope sheet and tape it to the stock. That will let you know how much higher you will need to aim.

But if you want to adjust the scope keep track on how many clicks you moved and what direction so that you can readjust for your lighter bullets with minimum range time
if you have a moose tag dont mess with that it could screw you in the heat of the moment sight your gun in with what bullet you are shooting

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
if you have a moose tag dont mess with that it could screw you in the heat of the moment sight your gun in with what bullet you are shooting
Is that before or after you use your rangefinder and dial in the turret on your scope as the moose is walking behind a tree?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Its tough to beat an Accubond ( or similarly built bullet) for penetration, expansion and weight retention for larger game.

Anybody shooting mutliple times at a moose is not taking or making good shots.

We have taken 2 Shiras cow moose wirh our 280AIs shooting a handloaded 175gt ABLR. They are not tough animals in my opinion and not nearly as tough as an elk.

One at 267 yards one at 426 yards. Both bullets recovered in the offside hide and had exactly the specified weight retention.

Reactions: jmwyoming

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
IME, which is pretty limited, moose are not all that difficult to kill.

My Dad has shot 3 shiras, all with a 300 winchester and 180 partitions, all one shot each at moderate range (120ish yards).

My Brother has killed on Shiras, also with a 300 and 180 partitions, one shot.

I've shot 2 shiras and 1 Alaska/Yukon. Shot one shiras with .338 and 200 grain ballistic tip, one shot. Shot one shiras with a 7 RM and 160 accubond, one shot. Killed the Alaska/Yukon with 7 RM and 160 partition one shot.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose with a .243 and 100 grain partition. A good friend of mine killed a cow in Montana with a 100 grain sierra from a .243, one shot.

Any decent cup and core bullet from a .30 caliber at reasonable velocity (2800ish) will work just fine, any controlled expansion bullet, probably even better.

No reason to over-think things.

Will probably kill my 3rd shiras moose this year with either my 7 RM and 160 accubond or perhaps my late grandfathers 300 WM (since both my Dad and Brother have killed moose with it, would be cool if we all shot one with the same rifle).

Reactions: BAKPAKR