Moose Hunt 2017

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Starting to get our gear together for my wife's first Archery Ontario Moose Hunt.

Who else is starting their prep work?

Trying to decide on what broadheads to have her shoot. I hate to veer away from the Muzzly 4-blade 90 Gr.

They have been really good to me in the past.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else heading to Canada moose hunting this season?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm aware that I am getting in deep on my favors from you :cool:lol

I wonder how that g5 would hold up to a rib bone of a moose? They are built pretty solid and they are COC style.
My friend back home shoots them and loves them.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska

I wonder how that g5 would hold up to a rib bone of a moose? They are built pretty solid and they are COC style.
If I was shooting a fixed blade, I believe G5 would be my choice.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado

My preference for these is durability based and ease of sharpening. I think regardless of model or style.....IMO any rib bone hit produces a deflected shot into the cavity.......if it doesn't hit square. Then I think all odds are thrown out.

Sundowners@5?

Feb 19, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
G5 125 grain head on a 2014 WY moose. Sheared off a rib going in and out the offside, but didn't completely pass through Moose went 75 yards. Give them a try and see how they fly? Good luck to your wife.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I put a 2 blade zwickey through a rib bone of a shiras moose and lodged it in the opposite shoulder blade from a 50 lb recurve. Sounds like the G5 will work fine. Good luck to her. Eye to eye with a bull moose is pretty exciting to say the least.

Dode

Feb 21, 2011
Washington state
IMG_0331.jpg
G5 100gr at 30 yds. Bull traveled approx. 70 yds and dropped dead. My arrow passed through and landed 15 ft behind him in the brush. It did hit rib bone and then deflected upwards through the chest cavity. The broadhead looked just fine afterwards. I would definitely have no reservations shooting them again!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
To back up I have already I bought her a dozen muzzy 4 blade 90Gr...

After doing a lot of reading I have heard that with a lower poundage a cut on contact is best.

She shoots a carbon rose set at 55 pounds.

I have always loved the muzzy 4 blades but if a cut on contact gets better penetration I'm all about having her try them.