Montana Antelope

bruno

Mar 9, 2011
SW Pennsylvania
Hey guys. Great new site! I'm going to be hunting mulies in Montana the first or second week of Nov. This coincideswith the last two weeks of antelope. We're hunting near Big Timber, MT. Does anyone know anything about the units in this area? Is it worth trying to get a tag?

bruno

Mar 9, 2011
SW Pennsylvania
Thanks. Are you referring to units 510 and 570? Does either have much public land or BLM with antelope on it. Or is it more pay for a trespass fee?

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
Trespass fee...thats funny. No, plenty of State Land, and BMA (Block Management Area). Contact the region 5 office in Billings and request a BMA booklet. This is private land that is open to hunting. Some are by permission, and some areas are sign-in only the day of your hunt. The updated BMA units come out mid August. Other land owners may just let you hunt by knocking on the door as well.

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
Trespass fee...thats funny. QUOTE]
Why is that funny?? Just wondering. Is there that must public land available that it would be stupid to pay?
I would say 80% of the Antelope units have plenty of public land. I've hunted BMA ranches with over 12,000 acres of access.. With all the state land sections as well, you should have a great chance at seeing antelope. Just because the antelope are not on state or BMA land one day, does not mean they can't be there the next.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
I shot an nice buck in Unit 510 during the 2005 season. Plenty of goats around (pretty decent draw odds too) and gorgeous country (foothills of the Crazy Mountains). Though I can't really comment on the access as I applied for the unit because I met a friend from Big Timber who knew a few ranchers. I didn't have time to scout or hunt much, so I couldn't be too picky, yet I was able to show up in Big Timber at sunlight and be back in town by noon with a 13" goat in the pick-up. That was the one and only time I've hunted the unit so I don't know if my experience is typical or not. Though just by looking at the number of tags allotted in that unit and by giving a roadside eyeball test (lots of antelope are within eyesight of the highway), I'd say you have a very reasonable chance of drawing a tag and taking a nice buck in this unit. As far as, high end trophy quality, I have no idea of the unit's potential.

Here is a pic of that buck:

P.S. The only time I've heard of "paying a trespassing fee" to go on private land has involved out of staters who buy big ranches and lock everyone out. There should be plenty of Block Management, public, and private ranches that are more than willing to let you get rid of an antelope or two.

bruno

Mar 9, 2011
SW Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. Just found out I drew a deer tag. I'll be out in Nov. Not sure if I'll get a tag this year for antelope or just try to do a little scouting.