Monster Whitetail Dead Head Found in Ohio

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Question for you Whitetail hunters.

I have only taken a few Whitetails, so I am no expert. I seem to see a lot of nontypical Whitetails in pictures, in the B & C Annual Awards and in Pope & Young. The picture in this post is a perfect example of this. There are a lot of fenced Whitetail Deer farm operations in the midwest and Texas that breed these nontypical monstrosities for profit. I wonder if some of them get loose and breed with the wild population to produce more nontypicals than you would expect to see. I sure don't see near as many Mule Deer nontypicals.

Just askin you take.....................

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Some might say it is age on non fenced animals. To get that kind of mass on free range whitetail deer most would need 5 plus years. Not a lot of places that deer get to live for 5 plus years. I know of a high fenced place in MO that grows many 300 to 400 inch bucks every year. It is unreal how young some of these deer can reach 160 to 200 inches. I have seen bucks that have 150 inch first antler growth. Their genetics have been so altered it is hard to understand. I don't figure many of these bucks escape the pins. To much money lost and the fencing is well kept. I had a large non-typical on my place about 10 years ago. Not anywhere near this one above. For the three years I got game camera photos of him only one was with in 3 hours of shooting hours. The one was about an hour from day light.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Many knew this deer was there- the guy that found the sheds hunted him the last 4 years- here is a link to the story. Ohio is well known for Big Deer and this one is just another example.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Question for you Whitetail hunters.

I have only taken a few Whitetails, so I am no expert. I seem to see a lot of nontypical Whitetails in pictures, in the B & C Annual Awards and in Pope & Young. The picture in this post is a perfect example of this. There are a lot of fenced Whitetail Deer farm operations in the midwest and Texas that breed these nontypical monstrosities for profit. I wonder if some of them get loose and breed with the wild population to produce more nontypicals than you would expect to see. I sure don't see near as many Mule Deer nontypicals.

Just askin you take.....................
I think one of the reasons you see so many pictures is because people like to see notypical whitetail bucks and when they are killed the photos get spread around a lot. I have been hunting whitetail for over 35 years and have been placing trail cameras since they first came out and where I live and hunt nontypicals are extremely rare maybe 1 out of 100, but every year the one or two that are killed in our county end up on the front page of the newspaper and almost everyone is sharing those pictures on their phones.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
That is an awesome buck. Could have died from any number of reasons. Hopefully the guy got to keep the horns.

I would love to know what killed this buck below. Friend found him and it was very far from the nearest road. Scored high 190's and there isn't an ag-field within 10 miles of this location.....Those pictures do NOT do this deer justice....its a high 190's deer and only has an 18" outside spread. I wondered if the old boy died of natural causes, but I kinda doubt it. The time-frame and degradation of the carcass puts his death right around archery/rifle season. Sometimes we never know what happened and it always adds to the mystery.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
nice buck!

hard to say , could have caught a bullet. but in the end I guess it don't matter daid is daid.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I always wanted me a big drop tine non-typical like the one you posted. But who doesn't? lol

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I always wonder what the antlers look like when there is something to compare em to - in order to see the true size as opposed to this dude holding the rack out at arms length. yes - great buck, he probably never knew existed.

The second one is more my style - incredible rack.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Ive been pretty busy lately and have been working a lot of overtime so i haven't had much time on the internet. This is the first I've heard of this . In my hunting years in ohio ive seen two absolute beasts.... nothing that big . To answer cc there's an amish community not two far from me and some of them raise deer. There has been a couple high fence operations around but they have all closed down. Im sure its a possibility but every year i get texts from a buddy of monsters. It doesn't take long for thr pictures to get around when someone gets a big one. This one is in a whole different category though, very impressive. Do you guys remember the beatty buck ? That one was southern ohio by daton i believe

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
There have been a few 200"+ deer taken again this year, especially in southern and south central ohio where it is well known for Big Deer. I heard 2 of them exceeded 220". One may have hit the 240" mark. The Beatty Buck, the Hole in the Horn Buck are two examples of some absolute studs. My Buddy killed a very Nice 10 point that was very wide and symetrical.